Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Explain AUC extended warranty for me please

General car related chat
the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:00 am

Hi guys long time no see, hope ya'll safe & sound

im after some info on the approved used bmw warranty please

im after an f10 m5 and ive been trying to secure a deal with 2 years warranty with a few dealerships but non are playing ball (frustrating as i know they did offer 2 years at one point)

i know once the 1st year runs out you get offered the chance to extend it for a monthly or one-off fee. ive played around with some quotes on the bmw warranty quote site and it seems very very expensive,i spoke to a dealer about this and he assures me that its cheaper to be invited to extend it rather than to just purchase a warranty, not sure if he is giving me a load of old rubbish just to secure a sale. can anybody confirm?

also it seems that once the car passes 60k the warranty pretty much doubles, is this the case if the car passes 60k whilst in its 1st year of the auc warranty aswell ie if i buy with 55k on it then it reaches over 60k before im offered the extension will they ask the mileage?

what about if i buy a car that already has over 60k on it, will the offered extension be at an inflated rate instead of the sub 60k price?

any other tips regarding the warranty?

cheers guys

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:38 am

Good to see an old face returning - we need a few more to do so…. :D

I’ve not had an AUC warranty but I recently extended the warranty for the F46 Gran Tourer as it’s just hit 3-years and we need to ensure it’s covered until it goes back. The premium is £55/month with a £150 excess. Whilst talking with BMW GB on the phone I asked about our 2005 E46 three series. BMW told me that as long as the policy started before 60k miles it was fine but beyond that Allianz (insurer) would decline it.

If you pay monthly the premium does not change for as long as you keep paying (apart from increases in tax etc). Annual premiums rise year on year. My X6 warranty has now run for 7 years and the premium only rose when Insurance Premium Tax came along. I don’t even have to get it serviced by a main dealer - though it does have to be maintained in accordance with BMW and should use OEM parts or their equivalent.

From my experience with aftermarket warranties, yes the BMW one is expensive, but it covers everything including roadside assistance with whatever excess you agree. No messing about with “we’ll pay once the fault is identified but not the diagnostics” as many other insurers do. Similarly after market warranties have other exclusions (such as the ICE kit) that would be very expensive to fix. As an example, on my E53 the fuel pump relay went. It cost me £210 for diagnostics and Warranty Direct paid about £30 to change a £10 part. Conversely BMW refused to repair its gearbox, or even offer goodwill at 38k mikes. WD paid out over £3k and my excess was £75 as the diagnostics which were done by the local dealer was easy - it’s broken, you need a new box! It’s a case of reading the small print very carefully.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:02 pm

Curiosity led me to just seek a quote.

2009 car FBMWSH, 33500 miles, 250.00 excess, £1200 🤔

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:46 pm

Thanks for the replies guys

im concerned that when the 12 month one runs out the quote for an extension may well be too much to stomach, ive asked a dealer who has a 14 plate f10 m5 in for a quote on a 2nd years warranty so will see what he says.

regards

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:55 am

It's always been the case it gets silly after 60k which was original warranty so basically they are getting money for nothing up to 60k.
You need to be below 60k before taking out an extended monthly plan then they never ask what the miles are again was the case In years gone by.
The dealer warranty may seem expensive but if anything major goes wrong it will pay for itself very quickly with silly labour rate and m parts prices

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am

X5Sport why did they not cover your gearbox with so low miles???

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:41 pm

Watching with interest as my x5 40d is approaching its 3rd birthday in September and its whats to do time, hoping to keep it and put the BMW extended warranty on it, provided the price is fairly sensible, otherwise its put money aside each month and use an indie for service and anything else needed, or given the high values at present, sell and buying something else, perhaps a nearly new Toureg, although that's probably a bit extreme.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:58 pm

You don’t have to have main dealer servicing. I use a BMW Indy near Milton Keynes (all the techies are ex-BMW and it’s run by two Master Techs). BMW GB told me that as long as I have a paper record detailing the work and it’s all ‘to code’ they’re happy. My X6 is about £90/month plus IPT.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:20 pm

That's worth knowing, there is a very good indie in Derby and I'll drop in and see them re-service costs going forward, although the next one is already booked at supplying dealer, combined with an end of warranty check and its first mot.
Given the potential cost of repairs if something big or time consuming goes wrong, I reckon the bmw extended warranty is probably the safest way to go.
Hopefully they will send a warranty offer next month.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:30 pm

I got my paperwork about three weeks before the 3 year point, direct from BMW.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:59 am

Thanks, that will be first week September then, if they still operate to the same timetable, will let you know what they offer