Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel prices rising by the week now it seems

General car related chat
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:38 pm

I notice as well that the new electric Hyundai something 5 saloon weighs more than my X5??

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:23 am

That is something the clever people driving the electric revolution haven't considered heavier vehicles will batter our roads even more than they are battered already.
If a Hyundai out weighs an X5 I wonder if it's the batteries or all the extension leads :roll: I wonder if they have worked out what an Articulated truck will weigh :rofl:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:52 pm

Probably the same, but have a cargo capacity of a packet of crisps…..

Fuel at Costco this afternoon was 127.7 for diesel, 131.7 for normal petrol. The BP station just north of Jcn 10 on the A1(M) was 143.9 for diesel!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:24 pm

Getting dangerously close to the 150 there x5sport , not somewhere we want to be lol :fuelfire: The trailer on the artic will be for the batteries :rofl:

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:41 am

Already past the £1.50 barrier in the Sunny South
Pease Pottage services this morning
Unleaded £1.52.9 Diesel £1.56.9 one of the few spots localish to me to get LPG £ 0.68.9

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:55 am

Jeez - that’s proper price gouging for all those heading for Brighton etc. I used to live in Gossops Green and locals from some of the ‘estates’ around there will be syphoning fuel before long :fuelfire:

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:53 am

We are at Mannings Heath we were almost neighbours
Son inlaw works for BOC/Linde they have already had to improve security around their in house fuel area, so the Residents are already on the move :D

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:33 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:13 amI refuse to use supermarket fuel. I stick to Esso, mainly, or Shell. My local Esso is currently £1.329. Last week, on a flying visit to Newbury & Winchester, I paid (and saw none cheaper than) £1.409. Premium was over £1.50.

It's always supply & demand. Earlier this year (January/February time) I was paying £1.059 at the local Esso. :o
The weekend before last my local Esso here in Gateshead had put their's up to £1.349 for standard diesel. The same weekend my usual station in Andover was £1.399. Yesterday they were £1.329 and £1.379 respectively. Seems like it's going down again.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:22 am

We can live in hope.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:54 am

FWIW on 'my' Greek island where everything is effectively imported, current average prices are €1.40 & €1.45 for diesel and super diesel.

And for less value info on this forum, when we arrived here end of May, i had my now exported Touareg brim filled as usual. Long story short it seems that tank-full was low grade high sulphur stuff maybe agricultural grade? It quickly became an issue as starting with AC on full chat the dire stink of sulphur in the cabin was bad. Since that fill up, its been half filled it with super derv, problem resolved.

My point being that to earn a few, (or a lot) of extra shekels, dubious practice or even tank siphoning will likely increase with prices.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:02 am

It appears that Tesco fuel is very likely to be Esso as all of their stations are run by ExxonMobil. Not that we can currently buy any around here due to the herd going panic buying. All of the stations within 10 miles are now closed awaiting deliveries, even those now charging 150ppl. My wife picked up our shopping at Tesco’s 7-miles from here and they had a fuel delivery at 06:00 and were sold out by 08:15. Hopefully within a day or so the peak lunacy will have ended allowing those of us who really do need fuel to get to work (rather than those just putting a tenner in ‘just in case’) to buy some. We’ve got about 100 miles range in the 2-er with a daily 60-mile commute. The other cars are kept at low level because we don’t use them that much.

As soon as a Government Minister says no need to panic buy, it triggers exactly that. Remember the toilet paper mess a year ago? Same thing, and same ‘trigger’ mechanism. We saw some incredible amounts of it being bought at Costco at the time. They need to learn to keep quiet! Rant over…… :P

If it keeps up then it’s back to WFH - with locks on the fuel caps again.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:52 am

I haven't been down south for three weeks now, but I filled-up here yesterday at my local Esso (as usual) and they haven't had any problems either with deliveries or panic buying. However, their price of £1.329 for standard diesel - which has been stable since the end of July - has now increased to £1.349.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:57 am

X5Sport wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:02 am

As soon as a Government Minister says no need to panic buy, it triggers exactly that. They need to learn to keep quiet! Rant over…… :P
What nobody trusts the government anymore :rofl: reminds me of Northern Rock when they said your money was safe that went well didn't it , ques round the block to take it out :D But the media cooked up this storm in a teacup and I can see why people joined the long lines to fill up as they knew the way it would pan out these days . :fuelfire:
The winners being the government too with a huge rise in tax from fuel they were not expecting and the way everything else is going can see fuel taking a big rise in price over the next few months , 1:37 for diesel here now in Tesco's .( no queues yet thankfully )

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:22 am

X5Sport wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:02 amAs soon as a Government Minister says no need to panic buy, it triggers exactly that. Remember the toilet paper mess a year ago? Same thing, and same ‘trigger’ mechanism. We saw some incredible amounts of it being bought at Costco at the time. They need to learn to keep quiet!
Exactly! ^^^

It will be interesting from my POV to see how this pans-out over the next two weeks. We're away on our annual pilgrimage to the wilds of Scotland next Saturday, for a week. The F25 would possibly just about get us where we're staying and back home again on a full tank, so I'll need at least one fill-up while we're away. Probably best to get it - if I can - at the last opportunity before arriving at the property on Saturday afternoon.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:40 am

Similar situation here, have a holiday booked with the caravan on a site near Peterborough, towards the end of next week and at present little or no diesel availability nearby, assuming I could fill up, I could just about do the full return trip with the caravan on a tank, but it’s a gamble and assumes the M6 and the A14 run smoothly, which often isn’t the case.
Like you, ideally I need a further tank whilst I’m there, but yesterday afternoon there was no diesel availability being reported in Cambridge, hopefully it will calm down once everyone has filled their tanks and then work from home, so they won’t need any next week, although then we get the people topping up every time they make a short trip to exacerbate the queue situation. Maybe I’ll contact them and see if I can move it back a week or two :headbang: