Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Seeking opinions, space saver wheel.

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Seeking opinions, space saver wheel.

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:06 am

Most X6 owners will know, courtesy of BMWs use of different wheel hub sizes front and rear, any space saver wheel is a compromise. According to realoem, BMW offer an 18" steel rim with an offset of 14 and a 19" alloy, offset not specified :headbang:

Currently i have the 18" option under the boot floor. Its never been needed and hopefully it will stay that way, preparedness is never a bad thing though.

As usual selling stuff is never easy so i got to thinking i should perhaps make use of the surplus alloy space saver I have for sale here. But then it gets tricky as this wheel has an offset of 40 and a 72.6 CB so would only fit the rear axle.

Adjustment is necessary.

1: Buy a pair (no one sells singles) of 25mm spacers that step the CB 74.1>72.6 so it will fit both axles and adjusts the offset simultaneously. One spacer would be completely wasted though.

Or.

2: Have the alloy space saver CB enlarged but knowing the offset, 40 vs 14 is still rather shallow, the rear is depicted here
Screenshot_20210413-103219.png
Screenshot_20210413-103219.png (100.44 KiB) Viewed 675 times
Costs are much the same, £50 for engineering or a pair of spacers.

Simplest option, forget all of this, just keep the steel wheel and sell the alloy for whatever it may fetch on an auction site :oops:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Seeking opinions, space saver wheel.

Post by Leslie » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 pm

Why BMW made things so tricky we will never know and no logical reason.