Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DAB radio interface

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

DAB radio interface

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:21 pm

Has anyone got a DAB interface in a non-DAB car? I had a DAB headunit in my E30, but that's 10 years ago now - I couldn't transfer it to the E46 because that one had the TV/nav headunit. An interface is something I've thought about now and again, for both the E46 and now the F25. I have looked, in the past, at the units from DABonwheels.

I've just looked again at DABonwheels' website and the interface units are dead cheap now, probably because the majority of new cars come with DAB factory-fitted. TBH, I'd probably only use it to access JazzFM but Wor Lass has started asking what I want for my birthday and I can't think of anything.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: DAB radio interface

Post by henrym3 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 pm

I have the DAB interface for the Dynavin I have fitted. When I lived in Dorset it was outstanding. Up here in Cumbria it’s crap, dropping in and out. I end up just using FM which is good but not DAB standard. No comments about wilderness etc etc.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pm

When I sell the r32 later this year I’m going to treat myself to a Xtrons Android head unit and the Resler interface to restore the full OBC facilities and then some.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:29 pm

henrym3 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 pm When I lived in Dorset it was outstanding. Up here in Cumbria it’s crap
My Sony DAB in the E30 was pretty good over here. I fitted a signal splitter to the roof aerial. If I go for it, mine will only get used to-and-fro work (Gateshead - Sunderland) and A1(M)/M1/M42/A34 when I go to Mother's in Hampshire on my own (Wor Lass doesn't like my choice of music.............).

If I decide to get DAB for the F25 I'll probably get a glass-mount external aerial.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Bladerunner919

Post by Bladerunner919 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:46 pm

I've got the 'Kinetic Digitizor' from DabOnWheels fitted to my E53 and my Jag XK8 - works great in both: https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/k ... r-radio-3/

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:27 pm

Bladerunner919 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:46 pmI've got the 'Kinetic Digitizor' from DabOnWheels fitted to my E53 and my Jag XK8 - works great in both: https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/k ... r-radio-3/
That ^^^ is exactly what I've been looking at! :thumbsup:

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm

Bladerunner919 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:46 pmI've got the 'Kinetic Digitizor' from DabOnWheels fitted to my E53 and my Jag XK8 - works great in both: https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/k ... r-radio-3/
DABonwheels say that the Digitizor can be fitted "in 5 minutes". Did you fit your Digitizor(s) yourself? In years gone by I've done ICE installs, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start with up-to-date(ish) cars. Part of the reason I never bothered with DAB in my E46 was that it didn't have a headunit as such, all the stuff was in the boot - TV tuner, massive amplifier thing, navigation DVD, etc, etc.

Bladerunner919

Post by Bladerunner919 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:50 pm

I fitted them myself. There are two options with the Digitizer - wireless fitting or wired fitting. I went for wired fiting which involves intercepting the FM antenna cable, but the wireless installation means that it just retransmits on an FM frequency that is picked up by the car's antenna. You could do a wireless installation in minutes if you use the cigarette-lighter power supply option that it comes with.

If you want to do a wired installation on the E53, what I did was to take a power supply from the switched power to the radio module under the spare wheel. Because BMW use FAKRA connectors for the antenna, you will need one of these kits: https://www.halfords.com/technology/car ... 82178.html
I put the DAB antenna at the top of the glass on the tailgate and ran the wiring through the flexible connector between the tailgate and the car, but that is a bit of a pain to to - it would be way easier to attach the antenna to the rear side glass and just run the cable down behind the rear fusebox.
I mounted the unit under the boot floor so it is completely out of sight

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Thank you for ^^^ that. :thumbsup:

I probably will go for it, but before making the final decision I'll have a dummy-run at accessing the back of the climate control panel. As per one of my posts above, I want to use a glass-mount external aerial - probably on the driver's side rear quarter window.