Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres run flat puncture repair kits?

General car related chat
Wayfarer

Tyres run flat puncture repair kits?

Post by Wayfarer » Fri May 14, 2021 8:12 am

Has anyone successfully used or considered using a tyre repair kit from airman or BMW to effect a temporary repair in a run flat tyre whilst many miles from home towing a caravan as mine is a 7 seater so no room for a spare and hear that sometimes getting a replacement tyre occasionally takes a while especially if you end up needing to replace 2 of even all 4 tyres whilst towing a long way from home. So far it’s not been an issue but just trying to plan ahead as got a few long tows and trips away this summer, apart from this slight concern the x5 is the best tow car I have had to date.

StuBeeDoo

Re: Tyres run flat puncture repair kits?

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm

I have a "Stop'n'Go" tyre plugger kit, which was recommended here, for my summer tyres. In the winter tyres, I have put "PunctureSafe".

I haven't had to use the plugger yet. The only thing I would say about PunctureSafe is that it does pool in the bottom of the tyres after quite a short time, so if you're straight up to cruising speed after being parked, you will notice an imbalance which takes a while to dissipate.

Neither set of tyres (currently) are runflat.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:23 pm

I carry a can of tyreweld and also a tyre plugger kit, but never used them. I carry both of these as I hopefully would be able to do some sort of repair if I got a puncture when towing.
Agree that F15/F16 are superb tow cars :)

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat May 15, 2021 5:07 pm

I had tyre weld in my tyres, tyre went soft, pulled the nail out and used the plugger kit, never lost any air after that. Lost faith in the tyre weld.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun May 16, 2021 7:00 am

Thanks for all the info, would appreciate a recommendation for a tyre plugger kit, as there appears to be a lot of rubbish being sold on the likes of Amazon etc

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 16, 2021 10:01 am

You could also consider having PunctureSafe put in your tyres. It isn’t cheap but will self-seal holes up to 0.25” with no issues. It’s simply a case of deflating each tyre, injecting the compound (a water based rubber solution) into the tyre, rein flats and go for a drive to spread it around the inside of the tyre. It doesn’t dry out and just oozes through any hole before sealing it tight.

I had 5 punctures in a rear motorcycle tyre and all self sealed. I didn’t even know about them until I changed the tyre and could see the ‘holes’. Caravaneers and the emergency services use it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun May 16, 2021 11:23 am

X5Sport wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:01 amYou could also consider having PunctureSafe put in your tyres. .............
StuBeeDoo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pmThe only thing I would say about PunctureSafe is that it does pool in the bottom of the tyres after quite a short time, so if you're straight up to cruising speed after being parked, you will notice an imbalance which takes a while to dissipate.
I've no wish to put anyone off using PunctureSafe, but (currently) living in close proximity to roads with 50+mph speed limits in most directions I would think twice about using it again. However, if I had a few miles to travel at <40mph before increasing speed it wouldn't be as much of an issue.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the info, looking at the airman kits and a decent high quality plugger kit, to use in the event we experience a puncture whilst towing a caravan a long way from home. Any recommendations for decent quality tyre plugger kits and or the airman system. Thanks

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Wed May 19, 2021 7:42 am

Going to order a Stop'n'Go" tyre plugger kit as suggested, already have a small electric compressor, hopefully will never need it, but just in case as a get me home measure