Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What do I believe - eco settings?

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:43 pm

I’ve now had the F46 Gran Tourer 220xD for three years and to be honest it isn’t a bad car at all. Kind of ‘rabbit wagon’ sort of thing (think Zafira but much much nicer) and economy wise it’s been a significant improvement over its predecessor a Škoda Superb 3 estate even though it’s got the same power engine (190bhp ps) and xDrive 9or VAG equivalent.

Last week the car went in for its end of warranty check and they found a few issues that required a complete reload of both the ICE (iDrive) and work on the emissions control system.

On a normal tank of fuel (62-litres) that gave around 600 miles range and with the car in Eco extended the range by about 10-12 miles if driven carefully. Since reprogramming that extension after less than 1/2 tank is 35 miles including it being driven like it was nicked!

Ad blue use/consumption has been very low compared to the Škoda which used 1L/1,000 miles, sometimes more, with the F46 at around 0.2L/1,000 miles. I’ve only filled twice so far in 33k miles and even then only 5L needed each time. The Škoda needed at least 10L at a time.

So either the computer was lying before, or it is lying now, as that is a significant difference. We’re watching the mpg as that has also now started to improve from around 42 to better than 45 and climbing. A motorway cruise was easily 50mpg so it will be interesting to see what it goes to next time I’m on the M25 or M4.

The faults were flagged to the supplying dealer in 2019 and their service department ignored the error log and didn’t even bother to run diagnostics as they have an arrogant - your tool can’t possibly be right - attitude so they’d pick it up at the next service……almost 2 years later.

What do I believe? Was it knackered beforehand or is it just wrong now? The trouble is the dealer can’t work it out because that data is only known in Munich and they won’t say!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:45 pm

Wonder if they have a cheat device removed or refitted lol I'm sure all manufacturers were at it :fuelfire:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:42 pm

The Škoda came on the market just as the Dieselgate story went very public. They always maintained that the EA288 engine it was fitted with wasn’t part of that scandal, but I wondered if that was why it’s Ad Blue consumption was so high, and economy so poor because something had to be done. It may just have been a bad engine design/gearbox combo, only they will know for sure. The latest engine/gearbox combo is much better apparently. The F46 is twin turbo so maybe that helps as the engine can have a lighter tune, then boosted by an extra hairdryer.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:50 am

Next time your on the M4/M25 Richard it will be the Stop/Start battery you need to worry about not the MPG

Very interesting result though just a shame it's taken 3 years to be resolved and more of a shame they keep it secret

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:01 pm

Yes get the stop start switched off ,a great idea in theory until you need a new battery every couple of years and a new starter :headbang: