Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any Majors Concerns to Look Out For?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Scoobycue

Post by Scoobycue » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:41 am

I'm currently in a somewhat fortuitous position that I'll end up with two X5s on the drive. I've already put down a deposit on a new X5 as our Q5 isn't man enough to tow our new caravan🙃
Q5 is gone but I now have to wait till January for the new steed to arrive.
I'm on the hunt for an old e70 to tide me over and have spotted a couple of early editions 3.0d with a towbar.
Now as probably asked a squillion times are there any particular points I should check before diving in and parting with my cash?
Or lastly any creature comforts that are must haves?

Thoughts and info will be hugely appreciated 😎

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:08 am

Factory towbar cars were rated for 3.5 ton all others were 2.7 ton if that matters, 2007 cars will be in a high tax band (£600) may be hard to shift on again

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 am

If your new van is heavy then look for an E70 with a secondary radiator in the font near side of the bumper. That means you can tow 3.5T rather than the standard 2.7T. It was a cost option at build and includes additional cooling and bigger fans. Cars fitted with aftermarket tow bars may not have had the electric fan upgrade (from 650W to 800W). That could cause overheating with a big van going uphill or at higher altitudes.

If you can find one with Comfort Seats those are highly recommended. Early models (with non-LED angel eyes) have the M57/6sp engine/gearbox. Those made from 2010 have the N57/8sp engine/gearbox and are cheaper to tax. They also get the later iDrive. It may not matter if you’re only waiting a few months though. My M340d order is looking increasingly like early March - was early October - due to electronics supply issues.

One thing to be very careful with is tyres. They really do need to be the right tyres (marked with an * on the sidewall) and have no more than 1.5 to 2.0mm of difference in tread depth between any one wheel or axle. Cheap tyres can sadly lead to transmission failure (less of an issue on later F & G models) due to transmission windup. Any lurching or jerkiness, especially at full lock at walking pace and you should walk away.

Check for ‘saggy bums’ too. It indicates something not quite right with the rear air springs - usually a small leak somewhere in the bags or pipes.

There’s plenty of good ones about and they’re generally pretty reliable.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Scoobycue

Post by Scoobycue » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:41 am

Thanks for the heads up that's brilliant information. I had no idea budget tyres could be so detrimental to the transmission. Personally I like good rubber underneath me and invest in quality tyres.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:56 am

The issue is caused by staggered tyre sizes needing to be ‘matched’ in terms of circumference. Those marked with a *, or MO, or MOE (Mercedes) - there are others for Audi & Porsche - are matched. The worst difference reported on here was 32mm in circumference, and that’s per revolution! Large variance in tyre wear has the same effect and BMW warn that a maximum of 2mm applies to xDrive cars such as the E70. Stupidly they haven’t put that in the Owners manuals but it is in the Technical Instructions available to dealers.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Scoobycue

Post by Scoobycue » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:12 am

Sounds about right.
Off to see one today, hopefully I'll be coming home with a new car😎

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 pm

Scoobycue wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:12 am Sounds about right.
Off to see one today, hopefully I'll be coming home with a new car😎
Well have you bought or not :driving:

Scoobycue

Post by Scoobycue » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:18 pm

I didn't buy that one as it was leaking oil but I have bought an E53 instead. MY2006 with 80k on the clock, complete with an X5 private cover plate. I've been offered a grand for the plate already. Not going to sell it but it's nice to see it has good value.
I may have got myself a little bit of a gem tbh I've booked it in for a full oil service, power steering flush, brake fluid flush. While I'm there I'll get my mechanic to give it a good once over too.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:22 pm

Sounds good and not many decent e53's left now :thumbsup:

Scoobycue

Post by Scoobycue » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 pm

Thanks even the sunroof works properly 😉