Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Olliefrom83

Battery

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:56 pm

Afternoon

Can anyone recommend a brand of battery for my 2011 30d? Believe it to be a 019
The battery in the car is struggling now, it’s a bmw battery, not sure if it’s original, but now on a near daily basis keep getting the battery discharge warning, along with some battery related warnings coming up, checking with scanner, all are low voltage related.

I have a ctek conditioner, but battery never seems to get back to where it should be.

Cheers

Ollie

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Battery

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:25 pm

I’ve got a Yuasa YBX 9019 AGM battery on mine. Bought via Tayna Batteries. Next day delivery and a 5 year warranty.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Olliefrom83

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:30 pm

I was just on Tanya website, reasonable prices, your is the 40d? So should be suitable for mine, I just looked at it again and it’s an agm 90ah 900a 900cca

Cheers

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:43 am

Very good people at Tayna very helpful and honest guy's.
First time i went there they lent me a battery while they tested the new battery i had bought elsewhere online.
They did a report on the faulty battery for me to send to the online seller to get my money back.
Then sold me the exact same (good) battery and for a better price and no charge for the report.
Bought several batteries from them since.
Last edited by Alan Gunn on Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olliefrom83

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:46 am

Thanks Alan

That’s good to hear, I have ordered the Yuasa YBX9019 AGM, after hearing the reviews hopefully that will do the job.

Cheers

Ollie

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:35 am

Remember to code the battery to the car :thumbsup:

S3RYK

Post by S3RYK » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:33 pm

I'm panicking now you mention 'coding the battery to the car', I'm just about to order the same battery for my 40d, but what's the coding piece you mention?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:53 am

S3RYK wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:33 pm I'm panicking now you mention 'coding the battery to the car', I'm just about to order the same battery for my 40d, but what's the coding piece you mention?
Car needs to know it is a new battery so the IBS system charges it correctly.
Unless your car is an older e53 then i don't think it needs coding.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:29 am

After the E53 BMWs are fitted with an Intelligent Battery System. This adapts the charging as the battery ages and needs to be reset whenever a new battery is fitted. All Dealers can do it as can places like Halfrauds. It should be done as soon as possible after a battery change in order to avoid undercharging or over charging. It’s a quick job (5 mins) and just involves ‘telling’ the car the battery type and capacity via the OBD2 port.

My last car from Skôda also had this system fitted and it is becoming more widely used generally as part of emissions controls (only run the alternator at the required rate so less engine load hence less emissions - or so I’m led to believe).

S3RYK

Post by S3RYK » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:05 pm

-New battery fitted on Monday (Bosch AGM), same spec as fitted,
-CTEK charger connected Monday, just to ensure it's fully charged
-25 mile round trip yesterday
-Went to it this afternoon - same warning message as before 'BATTERY' excessive drain from electrical consumers'

Everything is off, no lights left on etc... What could it be? comfort access (that's been playing up for 18 months?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:18 pm

Was the battery coded to the car? It needs to be or the charging circuit won’t do its job.

If it was then you either have a faulty battery (it does happen) or something is keeping the car awake. If the comfort access has been playing up and preventing the car from going to sleep then that could well be the cause. Finding the issue needs patience and an ammeter. If the car is telling you it’s a consumer circuit then have the error code read (with the right software rather than a generic code reader) should tell you which system is creating the warning as it should show in the error log.

A few years back I had a Road Angel plugged into the glovebox USB supply. It wasn’t causing any overload and turned off with the car, but it was keeping part of the on board systems awake and was logged. Removed it and the issue went away. The dash/iDrive error code was very similar to yours.

libra007

Post by libra007 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:22 pm

I ordered from Tayna too, with their battery checker as my car doesnt have start stop so it recommended me a normal instead of AGM, now removed battery was original lasted almost 12 years and checked the part number its showing AGM also in carly it was AGM type too. new battery is non AGM, does it matter? or shall i change it for AGM?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri May 07, 2021 7:51 pm

libra007 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:22 pm I ordered from Tayna too, with their battery checker as my car doesnt have start stop so it recommended me a normal instead of AGM, now removed battery was original lasted almost 12 years and checked the part number its showing AGM also in carly it was AGM type too. new battery is non AGM, does it matter? or shall i change it for AGM?
If iyou get it coded for that non agm battery it will be fine but if you leave it uncoded it will not be fine as probably quickly ruined by overcharging .I believe a like for like you can get away with no coding but not when you change the battery type. ie Agm to ordinary battery.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 pm

As you have an E70 you need to get the battery change coded (if not already done). The advantage of the AGM type is that these cars draw significant current to run their on board systems so an AGM is better suited (and was fitted by default) but it’s not essential to have one. The coding is however important as AGM batteries charge at a higher voltage than non-AGM meaning you could overcharge your replacement battery.

@Leslie - you need to recode because the car has the Intelligent Battery System which adjusts the charging as the battery ages. It needs to be told that a new battery is fitted regardless.

libra007

Post by libra007 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:15 pm

X5Sport wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 pm As you have an E70 you need to get the battery change coded (if not already done). The advantage of the AGM type is that these cars draw significant current to run their on board systems so an AGM is better suited (and was fitted by default) but it’s not essential to have one. The coding is however important as AGM batteries charge at a higher voltage than non-AGM meaning you could overcharge your replacement battery.

@Leslie - you need to recode because the car has the Intelligent Battery System which adjusts the charging as the battery ages. It needs to be told that a new battery is fitted regardless.
Yes I did code accordingly, first time find out that it has AGM was the current battery data from carly. There was no AGM mark anywhere on the battery itself, that was the major cause of me believing its a non AGM plus no start stop. Battery barely survived this winter and now was giving daily message for low battery, after a full charge with trickle charge to full, it went to low within a weak even with daily driving.

I will give a call to tayna if they replace it for an AGM version.