Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Propshaft died

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
DIY-PETE

Re: Propshaft died

Post by DIY-PETE » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:10 am

Bloody text gets altered, should say febi- bilstein :headbang:

DIY-PETE

Post by DIY-PETE » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:33 pm

Picked up the car, with new prop. Jacked the car up when I got home and had a quick look.
Looks like I have been very fortunate in a small part of the plastic under tray has broken off, potential damage could have been significant. I also gave the front wheel a good shake but couldn't detect any play, however I had ordered the lower wishbone for both sides and will fit them anyway (the quick look also confirmed which ball joint).
To tell the truth I was half expecting to have a bill for the recovery from home to the dealer (BMW assist) I suppose the failure of a component under a safety recall mitigated that but you never can be sure, so Kudos to them. :driving:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:58 am

Sounds like a lucky escape but shouldn't the broken tray have been replaced ? It wasn't damaged prior to the 'recall failure' so not your responsibility.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:59 am

I would have pushed for the tray too as the failure and damage was a ‘known’ issue.

A few years back our E46 was flagged as needing a new lower front balljoint when being MOT’d at a dealer. Never been changed and never been flagged again. Somethings I think these people just employ scaremongering to drum up business. No surprise that the public has so much mistrust of the industry.

It does sound like you had a lucky escape indeed. There was a thread on year about ten years ago from someone who had to have the engine replaced when the shaft failed at high speed. It did a lot of damage, and fortunately was under warranty so BMW picked up the tab.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.