Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2004 3.0d sport X restoration project

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
Rupedeville

Re: 2004 3.0d sport X restoration project

Post by Rupedeville » Thu May 07, 2020 7:57 am

Well on this topic of gearbox faults lol, I finally bit the bullet ripped out alternator and replaced with a gen BM unit after the rectifier change although fixed charging issue, my x was not displaying battery symbol even on ignition for some reason, any way that's now sorted and after a few test runs still getting a gearbox fail program, carsoft is showing a constant 5f39, and the odd 5f42, please can anyone tell me if it transfer case plastic wheel or actuator issue before I start into that, thanks in anticipation🤔

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 07, 2020 8:54 am

Try sending a PM to kkx5 on the Forum. He’s our resident transmission expert as it’s what he does for a living.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Rupedeville

Post by Rupedeville » Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 am

Update

4f7a signal from transfer box faulty

This is the fault I couldn't clear on my x it would clear then as soon as car started it was back, now lots of peeps talk about the plastic actuator wheel fix etc. However my car didn't display the usual trifecta lights abs 4x4 etc, this is why I had my doubts. So bit the bullet and put a complete transfer case actuator on. This made no difference at all and being the only electrical connection with the transfer case, my thoughts were either it's ECU related or there is a prob with transfer case.
Bit the bullet and as I'm more familiar with a spanner than BMW software I bought a complete second hand transfer case and got dirty, removed the the old TC and bolted in the (new) one said a little prayer and plugged in code reader then started and test drove, finally the codes are now gone and car started to actually change gear without banging and messing about, I presume the clutches in the old TC are worn or chain worn I will open it up at later stage to investigate.
Meanwhile bought a dvd update for sat nav car says it's updated but won't read the new dvd for nav and its an original BM disc ohh joy any thoughts anyone ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 23, 2020 10:12 am

Which firmware version did you update to? Needs to be V32 to be the latest. That version is needed as newer map discs are dual layer. Modded copies of the firmware with speed cameras or splash screen have been known to be an issue. I reflashed our E46 Mk4 drive to a genuine BMW release because it also had reading errors.

It’s downloadable from here ... you do need to burn it to a CD rather than DVD and burn it at the slowest speed you can.

https://ncs-expert.com/downloads

I did get given the wrong disc by BMW once - check you haven’t got the version for MOST bus equipped cars. It doesn’t work in the E53.

Rupedeville

Post by Rupedeville » Sat May 23, 2020 10:39 am

Thanks I'll check this I now it is v32 I have but I'll check the dvd too

Rupedeville

Post by Rupedeville » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Been a while since my last post as my X5 was parked for a while, until I figured out my issues basically to top off I tried an actuator on transfer case but still had same fault, so bought a transfer box and slapped that in and problem solved. Then had gearbox issues so rebuilt the box with new zf seals and shift coils replaced that has finally fixed those issues next on list front suspension trailing arms and diagnose rear air susp innact fault. Oh and still no sat nav or Tele working lol, Christ it's as well she was cheap but it's getting there and a comfy big bus too.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:48 pm

TV wil depend upon which month in 2004 she was built. Hybrid TV receivers started to go in around October and could receive Freeview but not over the full number of channels. Since then digital TV has migrated down the bands so you’ll get nothing above TV channel number 60 (61-68 are now for phones).

If you have an earlier build then you may have an analogue TV only module so it has nothing to receive. The good news is the modules are plug and play so a later hybrid one from an E53 could be used instead.

The GPS antenna is in the tailgate spoiler (I think) and may have died. Without it the Nav won’t know where to start from for the maps, though it can use a form of dead reckoning when it does have a lock (and then loses it in say a tunnel).