Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie to X3 E83

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
daveyh

Newbie to X3 E83

Post by daveyh » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:05 pm

Hello!

I just got my Mrs a 2005 X3 E83 3.0d M Sport Auto as she wrote off her Fiesta (and almost herself) when someone ran her off the road by crossing to her side whilst they were driving drunk.

As it has done a few miles and has come with the service history from new and 16 stamps (mostly BMW) but there were a few issues, but I'd like to get the Auto Transmission oil and filter changed as well as the transfer box oil (along with the actuator).

Thus far I have sorted an ABS fault which I had to replace the module and recode the replacement, I am in the midst of fixing the parking sensors, I have to replace the passenger door mirror as previous owner has replaced it with the wrong one! It's has a good service, a couple of rear tyres and flew through an MOT with no advisories.

Having looked online there are a few sites that give a few types of oil but the BMW manuals with the car have neither type or approx capacity.

Could anyone tell me the best ATF and transfer box oil that is recommended by BMW and how much I should buy? I have found that the transfer box takes a bit under a litre, but can't find much about the gearbox itself.

Any pointers will be gratefully received as I hope this car will give her a few years service despite it's age and mileage (126000 miles)

Happy New Year to everyone!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Newbie to X3 E83

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:21 pm

Hello and :hi:

RealOEM will give you the part numbers for the box and oils etc. You may have gathered that the right oil is key. RealOEM is the copy of the official parts database.

BMW ‘DTF1’ is the listed version. Part number: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxr ... +2+409+710. Use the part number to find equivalents.

The gearbox (assuming you have a ZF 6-speed) is: Shell M-1375.4 BMW Part: 83 22 0 142 516. Somewhere around 9-10 litres from memory. There is a very specific change procedure that must be followed involving temperature and gear change sequencing. You must also change the filter, electronics connector gasket ring and sump attachment bolts (single use). I think there are kits with all of this included available.

Other things to check and monitor are tyres, especially if you have a staggered setup (different sizes front/rear), or if you change one pair without the other. Tread depth differences of much more than 1.5mm brings an increasing risk of a broken transfer box. It shouldn’t matter, but BMWs design choices means it does. Any signs of rumbling, jerkiness or odd behaviour with the car when driving should be paid attention to, and tyres can often be the cause. One of the members on here kkx5 repairs these transfer boxes and keeps warning us about being compliant with tyre choices - with the E83 being a common one that he sees. According to kkx5, use of the correctly marked tyres is very important (they have a ‘*’ on the sidewall - meaning BMW homologated).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

daveyh

Post by daveyh » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

I have just put 2 tyres on the rear so perhaps I should do the fronts too as they will be more than 1.5mm different.

I am shocked at the apparent fragility of these!

I will get the tyres replaced on Saturday as a matter of urgency.

Then I might sell it :-)

Great car to drive, comfortable too and great driving position so it ticks many boxes for her, hope we get a good few years out if it as it will be looked after well.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:47 pm

Glad to be able to help. BMW aren’t alone with this issue. Other premium AWD cars suffer as well - hence Audi, Merc, Porsche and others having special tyres too.

The issue is mainly down to having different tyre sizes and without careful diameter matching, the ‘rolling radius’ is therefore different which in turn leads to transmission wind-up. Cars fitted with ‘square’ setups are less affected. Some tyre brands are worse than others too. There’s just no hard and fast rule except to be aware of it and act with whatever you are happy to accept as a risk.

From comments on the Forum, it is only the very latest models that seem to have finally resolved the issues that have plagued all xDrive model since the mid-2000s.

Enjoy the car though. They are good to drive.

daveyh

Post by daveyh » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:54 pm

Pardon my ignorance - what is a "Square Set up"?

The one we have has been fitted with different wheels I think as they are 19" with 245 45 19 tyres.

Which I have just realised is a square set up not staggered!!

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:25 pm

Not an expert of these things as have moved to a BMW X5 after many years of Land Rovers products!
My understanding of a square set up is that all the wheels and tyres are the same size.
Please feel free to correct my interpretation.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:36 pm

Correct. Same size all round. Far less risky and easier to choose tyres for - you can use less ‘premium’ brands. Still need to watch the tread difference though.