Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine oil change X1 E84 XDrive

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
Josh

Engine oil change X1 E84 XDrive

Post by Josh » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi all, new on here. Can anybody throw some light on this please?
I am going to do an engine oil change on my friends 2009 X1 2L diesel Xdrive, I believe it has the N47 engine.
I've looked at videos on youtube and it looks straight forward, however, when I've had a peek under her engine there's what looks like a metal sump guard and I presume I will have to remove this which is held in place by a few 15mm ish looking bolts.
All the videos I've looked at just show the usual plastic guards with an access flap which just swings down, as on my wife's E87 1er. and no metal plate/guard.
Can anyone confirm that the sump plug is in fact accessed by removing said metal plate/guard?

Thank you in advance.
Josh.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Engine oil change X1 E84 XDrive

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:03 pm

Anything like these .... item 3

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_7507

It’s a metal skid plate. The sump plug should be further back or right at the back of the skid plate where the notch is and that might give you access.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I'm sure the drop down flap will be there, I didn't get right under the car just down on my knee looking back. I may have missed it.

I will post back when I've done the job. I just didn't want to have to remove half the under tray as I know those crappy little 8mm hex head bolts they use can and do seize on/round off when old and then it would be a pain in the a**e to deal with.

Thanks again.

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:15 pm

With regards to item 3 in the link you supplied, the one on her car, from memory, looked to be solid with no cut outs as in that picture, I'll see I suppose when I do the job.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:51 am

A lot of people use a suction pump to suck the oil out of the dipstick tube so no need to remove the sump plug.
Like this one but this is the first one i found so a better price to be had.
Pluss it saves getting oil all over and down your wrist lol.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KATSU-Tools-48 ... ooghydr-21

Josh

Post by Josh » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi Alan,
Yes I know garages like to use the suction method. I think I'd prefer to remove the plug and use gravity to remove the oil even though it's a bit more faffing around.

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 pm

I got the oil changed today, as you thought, the access panel was just beyond the metal skid plate. Easy enough change, the car took around 5.5 litres of oil.
Thanks for your input chaps.