Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X1 Transfer Case Symptoms

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
Sport160

Post by Sport160 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 pm

Going to test drive an X1 this weekend, I've read a lot online about various BMW 4wd transfer case issues. Am I correct in that the common symptoms of this would be slight juddering/feedback when pulling away at with steering lock on?

What other symptoms should I be on the look out for / what tests could I do on a test drive?

Thanks in advance!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X1 Transfer Case Symptoms

Post by X5Sport » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:33 pm

It can be a sign of trouble yes. Checking the tyres might also give you further clues. Wide differences in tread wear and use of non ‘*’ marked tyres can all lead to trouble but it must be stressed are not guaranteed to do so.

When driving then be listening for grating/grinding noises or whining which rises and falls with road speed.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sport160

Post by Sport160 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 am

X5Sport wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:33 pm It can be a sign of trouble yes. Checking the tyres might also give you further clues. Wide differences in tread wear and use of non ‘*’ marked tyres can all lead to trouble but it must be stressed are not guaranteed to do so.

When driving then be listening for grating/grinding noises or whining which rises and falls with road speed.
Many thanks, that's great! :D

d..m.k

Post by d..m.k » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:38 am

Apologies for jumping on this old thread but I may have these symptoms. Recently got a 20dX and noticed a regular clunk when crawling after releasing brake. Nothing over 10mph though

I’ve been underneath and there is a small amount of play from the front output flange / drive of the transfer case. I doubt this should be there, this is my first xdrive so don’t know them well yet.

Any ideas on how to cure the clunk?

Thinking I should have got an sdrive :|

Stee01

Post by Stee01 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:09 am

d..m.k wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:38 am Apologies for jumping on this old thread but I may have these symptoms. Recently got a 20dX and noticed a regular clunk when crawling after releasing brake. Nothing over 10mph though

I’ve been underneath and there is a small amount of play from the front output flange / drive of the transfer case. I doubt this should be there, this is my first xdrive so don’t know them well yet.

Any ideas on how to cure the clunk?

Thinking I should have got an sdrive :|
Hi D.m.k., did you track down or cure your clunk? I have a similar thing happening in my X1 atm.

TIA, Steve.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:18 am

We’ve not seen this user since Oct 2019.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Stee01

Post by Stee01 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:58 am

X5Sport wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:18 am We’ve not seen this user since Oct 2019.
No worries - thanks.