Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clacking, tapping noise at low speeds.

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Andy Collings

Post by Andy Collings » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:51 am

My latest problem with 4.8 M Sport. Had a noise as per the title but didn't happen all the time. Was I thought coming from the passenger rear wheel area. First diagnosis by garage was a snapped link rod on rear suspension, which was snapped, had both replaced as cheap. Noise was still there though, further diagnostic didn't find anything untoward. Went on a long trip and noticed noise only happened at low speeds and with little input on the throttle.
Searched the forums and all pointed to a CV diriveshaft, had all the right symptoms. Bought a new one at cost of £200 and took to garage. Garage with car up on ramp did some further investigation and called me down to have a look at what they found. Before jumping in and replacing the Driveshaft they rocked the back wheels to and fro and the noise was coming from the front fixed propshaft. It had a lot of play in it which it obviously shouldn't. Replaced this at a total cost of £645.00, the shaft with good old vat was £450.00. All now sorted, I hope.
Just goes to show you can't always assume a part is knackered and order one anyway, proper investigation is a must and saves money. Good that I returned the CV driveshaft for full refund.
Be aware that these driveshafts have had recalls on them and listen out or pop under the car and check for any front to back movement on the front propshaft. Unfortunately my car not part of the recalls but trying to get a goodwill gesture from BMW, dealership being very helpful in this. Will update soon as any new news.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:01 pm

Good thing you/they caught it as there have been some cars with engines wrecked by the propshaft snapping and smashing the sump! BMW really ought to widen the recall as the issue was originally caused by the a/c drain venting onto the joint. A number of folks on here have had multiple checks by Dealers over the years, and they’re still finding issues - and now yours too which wasn’t in the batch.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:04 pm

The propshaft joint corrosion issue was a 2011 and later issue as I understand it as the earlier cars didn't have a joint there to start with , but used a rubber guibo instead as I went looking to check mine (2009 sd) when it was up on the ramp and there was no joint (unless the v8 is different ) :D