Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help! 2010 E70 35d won't start after cleaning air intake components

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
MattyPrince

Help! 2010 E70 35d won't start after cleaning air intake components

Post by MattyPrince » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:04 pm

Hi all, any help with the following will be greatly appreciated. I have a 2010 E70 35d 141k miles. Decided to clean the egr, throttle body and intake manifold. I bought some new gaskets which came with swirlflap delete bungs. (I found that they had already been deleted by a previous owner) once apart I gave it all a good clean, used carb cleaner for the egr and throttle body and oven cleaner and a jet wash for the manifold. I left the manifold hanging up over night to fully dry. I fitted the new swirlflap delete bungs and all the new gaskets and began to refit all the parts ( I had taken stage photos to remind me) once all back together went to start the motor and it would turn over but not fire up. I flattened the battery trying to start her. I have a basic scanner made by iCar Soft. And it has shown the following fault codes
43E2
41AB
Can anyone help and maybe point out what I've done wrong.
Thanks for reading

E34 520i se -retired
E39 530d se tourer -retired
E53 3.0i MSport -retired
E70 35d 10 year anniversary -current

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Help! 2010 E70 35d won't start after cleaning air intake components

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:45 pm

A quick check on line for these codes has indicated the following as the errors:

43E2 = throttle valve activation. Is it plugged in and does the flap open or not? It you have had the intake apart did you plug everything back in?
41ab = charge air pressure sensor. Again, is it plugged in?
4332 = Fuel rail pressure control valve.

All are connected to the DDE (engine management computer) so a loss of the inputs to that could well cause a ‘no-start’ condition.

I would suggest something isn’t plugged back in and a look around the myriad connectors might find an ‘orphan’ or two?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MattyPrince

Post by MattyPrince » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. How do I tell if the throttle flap is opening and closing, also is the air pressure sensor the one on top at the back of the intake manifold?
Looks like I need to strip it down again and retrace everything. Oh well.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:28 pm

For the throttle valve you would need to be able to see it and see if it is moving with throttle input from the accelerator pedal.

I can’t see from the service info that I can get where the actual charge pressure sensor is, but the book only says to remove the acoustic cover and the sensor is below it. It looks high up so no rooting around.

Fuel pressure regulator is at the back of the common rail, fuel pressure sensor is at the front. Both are on the ends and have separate plugs.

marti

Post by marti » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:18 am

You must have some thing not plugged it.....

MattyPrince

Post by MattyPrince » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks for the guidance. All fixed now. The pressure regulator connection wasn't pushed on properly. I must have disturbed it while putting the bracket on the back of the manifold.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:24 pm

At least it was as simple as that. That’s the trouble with modern cars. There are so many simple problems that can bring the whole thing to a complete halt....such as a slightly loose connector. The thing is, none of the tools will tell you exactly which connector is the issue, you have to back track to find it!