Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LED Angel Eyes

How-To articles go here.
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LED Angel Eyes

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:26 pm

There seems to be a wide range of options out there for H8 LED Angel Eye replacements and just as much comment about some ( possibly most) of them being rubbish. So....which ones really are any good? I've got the HIDS4U kit in the E53 but they could be brighter.

I'm looking for something that provides a similar output to the Halogens but is LED instead and so can be used as a DRL, and puts no errors up. I know I won't get as bright as the E70 LCI but then that uses 60 LEDs and needs a complete new light unit and control module on each side!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: LED Angel Eyes

Post by snipez999 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:31 pm

I've just fitted these LED ones:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0720863616
Pics of stock vs LEDs:ImageImage
Lux H8 are apparently the ones to buy (from the States) but they are still in development for the X6

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

Dan1502

Post by Dan1502 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Anyone know where you can get the Lux for the X5 at a reasonable price? I don't care if it's abroad and also any more information on fitting the cap back on given the power unit sits outside the headlight?
2004 E53 3.0D Sport
2016 F25 X5 35D MSport

Finglonga

Post by Finglonga » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 am

I know I am bumping an old thread but I fitted LUX V3 to my 335i and then transferred them to the X6. I have a garage full of other LED and halogen bulbs that I have tried.

Got mine direct from Lux.

Fitted MTEC that I was running before and very pleased with (ignore the number plate :blink: ).

<<<<<MTEC /////// Lux >>>>>

<<MTEC and Lux>> on sidelights.

<<MTEC and Lux>> with HIDs on.

Both Lux fitted.

Video of them but the outer rings are dim close up but as you get further away they get brighter. (click on picture below)

And on the X6

This was taken in bright sunlight as most places that sell bulbs take the picture in a garage or when dark so they look brighter. Taken at close range with the crappy iPhone camera so outer rings appear dimmer, at a distance of about 20ft they are the same brightness as the inner.

Not cheap but IMO worth every penny. Not as bright as the new BMW Angel Eyes but closest yet unless you go the HID route, But having seen a car with it done I wouldn't do it as they dazzle in the daytime and would be too bright at night and you lose the crisp halo effect.

wilkoturbo

LED Angel Eyes

Post by wilkoturbo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Yellow plates go on the back lol
bmw x5 le mans blue

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Those are certainly the way to go.....but at a price!

And of course the new LCI version has LEDs as standard now..... :cry1:

I've seen one with the full LED option in place of HIDs and it was very impressive.  Yours for a mere £1,700 factory fitted... :o

I can see LED becoming the de facto standard in a few years, especially with the costs of the sapphire substrate coming down.  It would be nice to have a good LED conversion, but my budgets no longer allow for such things.. :'(

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:42 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
but my budgets no longer allow for such things.. :'(
[/quote]

Not now! >:D

I can see some sacrifices on the horizon!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

carlos50

Post by carlos50 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Im going to try these in a week or two, will post pics when i do

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271047444261? ... 1423.l2649

They are very similar to the Lux V3 and with 20w CREE LED should be as bright but at half the cost. I have dealt with HIDS Direct many times before so know their customer service.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Be interested to see how these work out.  So far nothing else comes close.  You can retrofit the new front and rear lights from the LCI, but the cost is awesome!!  £500 per side at the rear PLUS coding costs.  Fronts considerably more expensive as you need new lamp unit, lamp controller, modules and coding work on top.

Only for those with deep pockets.....and they'll probably just buy a new car.

Richard

Cannondale

Post by Cannondale » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:00 pm

My E53 has zenon headlights but the halo,s on sidelights are very dim. Would any of these LED kits make a big diffrance?

Rich...
2005 4.8is Carbon Black, panoramic roof,Comms, adj susp, black nappa leather, fr/rear seat heat, Elec adjt rear seats, fr/rear aircon,tinted windows, xenons, autodim r/v mirror, folding mirrors, DSP,Prof Speaker,alu side steps, Westfalia removable towbar,

wilkoturbo

LED Angel Eyes

Post by wilkoturbo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Image led side lights on Image
bmw x5 le mans blue

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:26 pm

I've only ever used the HIDS4U kit kit on my E53 and they were OK, but only that.  The picture on the site gives some indication.  Even BMW have to use a lot of LEDs to match the output from a single 35W halide lamp. 

They are getting better, but the luminosity has a little way to go yet, and the price to fall.  That being said, the price of the latest generation of LED domestic bulbs is still £20 as against £3-5 for a fluorescent low energy equivalent.

carlos50

Post by carlos50 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Ive purchased a set of the bulbs i posted the link to in my previous thread although from a different seller. They are due to arrive on Friday so i will report back on how they look compared to my GP Thunder 7500k Super White none LED bulbs that i have in there now.

Finglonga

Post by Finglonga » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:21 pm

I would be interested to see pictures of these when fitted.  :ok:

carlos50

Post by carlos50 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Fitted them today, was a royal pain because the heat shrink catches on the sidewall of the bulb holder so had to grind half of the edge away before the bulb would locate to turn and lock.

Finally got them in and they are crap, very dim, my GP Thunder 7500k superwhite halogens at £15 are much better. Not as white but not far off and much more visible.

First pic is the Cree LED's i just fitted today and the second shows right side as you view the pic with 7500k GP Thunder and Cree LED left side. GP Thunder are way better in my opinion. £80 versus £15, i know which is best value. Perhaps only Lux V3 are worth having but at £150 im not taking the chance. ImageImage
Last edited by carlos50 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.