Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

She's Run in at last - now a question

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:42 pm

1200 miles done and dusted so the basic running in procedure has been completed. Now for the gradual power used increased/step up the rpm steadily until the engine is beginnng to loosen off even more.

So how is it? For a two tonne vehicle it goes like a rocket. I still can't believe that diesel engines have come on so far as to give what is still a (very large) coupe shaped SUV the performance that some sports cars would like to have. The national speed limit comes into view very quickly and if I had not set the speed warning on the HUD to something around the limit then I could very easily see me gaining points on my licence or worse. This thing can really hussle! Economy is a steady 30mpg even now, some 5mpg better than the E53 on the same routes. I expect that to improve over time too.

The 8 speed transmission is beautifully smooth and means that you just get a continuous whoosh of power from just above idle until you have to back off and she's still not in eighth. The changes are not really noticeable at all. Motorway cruising speeds have the engine idling along at about 1600rpm.

The new type comfort seats are definitely worth it as you can set the side bolster width like a sport seat, or wider or a more relaxed style. The toys in the car are great fun, but as thr driver you never get to really look at them. I have not yet really found out more than about half of what the iDrive can probably do, and as for the Voice Control, that I just have not got to grips with at all. I've had a couple of attempts at using the phone and instead of actually getting it to dial have managed to end up in some other obscure function the system can do. Needs more effort on my part to remember the vocabulary :?

Tyre noise is surprisingly loud both on the Pirelli Winter tyres and the Dunlop Summer tyres. That maybe because the stiffer sidewalls allow better sound transmission to the car from the road. And whilst we're on about sound, the Pro Audio system is excellent and IMHO worth optioning in. I'm not sure I'd shell out for the individual system as its performance will be somewhat reduced by tyre and general noise when rolling. It's probably great when stationary though.

All in all I can say I am very impressed with this car and I can now look forward to extending the envelope. The thought of a thing this size being capable of 150mph is scary - and definitely only for a track and confident/competent driver capable of handling her. The ride is firm and there's little or no body roll, even when 'making progress', and grief this machine's fast!!

So to the question. Given the machining tolerances and standards in use these days, is there any real point to getting an engine oil and filter change done now? It's about £200 and I'm just wondering if it's really necessary? I could do it myself I suppose, but not from underneath as I have no means to lift 2.25tonnes off the ground nd keep it level. I'm from the older school of engineering where the oil was changed after 1,000 miles. Oil and engine technology has moved on I know, but.....

Thoughts?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am

Hi X5Sport

As far as I know, even though machining tollerances are tighter etc, during the initial running in period a certain amount of metal will make its way into the oil as parts bed in.

I would definately recommend changing the oil to prevent any possible engine damage.

I'm sure that now you can open the taps a little you will enjoy the car even more.

I can but imagine .......
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: She's Run in at last - now a question

Post by Turks » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:40 am

Glad to hear that you are getting on well with it... 30mpg is great from a car of its size and weight.

I would get the Oil change done, it just gets rid of anything like swarf or abrasives that may harm your engine if left in the sump. Swap it out and then you will have a clear mind and lots more happry driving ahead.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:02 am

I never knew you had to run them in at all done mine in about a week in that case as we needed to be in Paris next day and 30mpg is amazing best I have seen.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:13 am

[quote=""NewX5""]I never knew you had to run them in at all done mine in about a week in that case as we needed to be in Paris next day and 30mpg is amazing best I have seen.[/quote]

BMW's running in process for diesels is not to exceed 3,500 rpm or 90mph, avoid full throttle and kickdown for 1,200 miles. For petrols rpm and speed higher but no faster than 100mph!!

Oil & Filter being changed this week. £220!! :o

Getting the paint resealed on the new bit, and a new rear bumper protector too.

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:20 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""][quote=""NewX5""]I never knew you had to run them in at all done mine in about a week in that case as we needed to be in Paris next day and 30mpg is amazing best I have seen.[/quote]

BMW's running in process for diesels is not to exceed 3,500 rpm or 90mph, avoid full throttle and kickdown for 1,200 miles. For petrols rpm and speed higher but no faster than 100mph!!

Oil & Filter being changed this week. £220!! :o

Getting the paint resealed on the new bit, and a new rear bumper protector too.[/quote]

mate your car has hit the red line loads of time before you drive it the 1st time
it has been on the pdi road test !!!!

if you run these engines in to gently it will still be a bit tight
you need to give them some beans to free them up
all the loan cars are much much more quicker as they are driven harder
as the machining tolerances and the oils are so good these days there will not be much metal wear if any
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:26 pm

The Workshop Manager told me the same thing when I was running it in. Diesels like a bit of rough treatment ;) I did follow his advice to give it some, but not hold it there for any time. The biggest problem was actually getting the revs high enough in most of the gears!! The car hits 70 in 3rd/ 4th with no trouble at all - leaving another 4 gears still to use. To try to get the revs up I downshifted up to 3 gears on the paddles on overtakes.

She's an absolute flier and I would not be the least bit surprised if I took it on the banked oval at Millbrook if the stated 147mpg upper speed could be exceeded by a good margin unless it's an electronic limit. In 8th, 90mph is still less than 2,000rpm.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Your car sounds superb.......good to see you have genuine appreciation & are looking to take care of it.

No technical credentials here so can't intelligently advise re real merits of getting the oil additionally changed now.

Whether you change it now or wait until oil change due consider buying your own sealed oil bottles, (same type), & supply same. They shouldn't charge additional decanter & disposal charges,(if they used theirs they would have to pour it & dispose of the old stuff). I typically save around 50% on oil costs.

One thing to note is that on the older BMW engines the oil filter comes complete with a large "o" ring. The filter does not come with 2 smaller "o" rings which BMW say should also be replaced on each oil change. I suspect they never swap same as these items are often not stocked, (which surely they would be if replaced routinely). Another bmw owner on another board alleges his dealer parts department claimed that the only smaller air filter "o" rings ordered in by them over a considerable time were for his car alone !!!

I would love to be able to provide a depth & meaningful explanation as to the role of the "o "rings but I can only say that others who seem to know what they are talking about elsewhere, ( & my indy), claim the smaller "o "rings stop muck running back & so avoids associated problems. Maybe someone more technically aware will elaborate on the function description.

I have taken the trouble to look at realoem re yours & the oil filter is indeed a newer design. I will comment, however, that yours does appear to have 3 "o" rings. I would check to see whether all of these come in the filter kit or maybe just the big "o" ring, (as is the case with the filter kit I bought for the Z3 last week).

I cant advise as to what the latest BMW service manual presribes re all the "o" rings on yours but if it were mine I would make sure all 3 were changed each time the oil was replaced.....................I certainly don't subscribe to the view that leaving everything to the dealer ensure nothing is overlooked.

Next time oil gets changed on my X5 by someone else, (FBMWSH since I bought in 2006), I will prior ensure new "o" rings are ordered before the car goes in & will politely ask to see new "o" rings before oil change & the old ones afterwards.

Finally I would add that I am not disrespecting the views of others & especially those with technical experience ;

HTH :)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Oh & the link to your "o" rings is here

Feel free to consider or dismiss my above ramblings as you see fit ;)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:26 pm

[quote=""AW8""]Your car sounds superb.......good to see you have genuine appreciation & are looking to take care of it.[/quote]

When I first had a car of my own I could not afford to have garage servicing, but I worked at the Surrey Police HQ garage fitting & maintaining radios. The mechanics used to do 'homers' a couple of nights a week and I got them to teach me how to do it properly. All Police cars were serviced at 3,000 mile intervals and there was no messing with parts! As a result I have never scrimped on cheap parts in safety critical areas. I used to do all my own maintenance and as a trained mechanical and electronics engineer who also built model kits, I have always loved taking things to bits to find how they work, and successfully putting them together again. I spend (sadly some might say) time looking things up on the web now as there is no manual for the X5 Diesel to see how it's put together and how it works.

I appreciate technology and the development of the car I drive. The development is incredible and, to me, fascinating.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:54 pm

What's running in? ;-)
I've stretched her legs a little and have avoided using the manual paddles so the car has basically changed gear whenever she wanted rather than me forcing it; but I've driven normally (for me) the rest of the time and used the sport setting a few times when anything pesky needed seeing off ;-)

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Compared to what used to be called 'running in' there is no similarity at all. In theory, do not exceed 3,500rpm or 90mph, and avoid using kick down. Given that 70mph is well below 2,000rpm that's not exactly easy. Of course that's only theory...

Or on the other hand, give it some beans........... :D :D :driving:

PeterL

Post by PeterL » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Glad I found this, so are you saying hat occasionally you should give her a bit but not use kick down?
Wife's best comment "Your car hates me" ref E39 M5
Wife's next best comment "Your car doesn't go in a straight line" ref E39 M5

BMW E39 M5 Le Mans Blue, Black leather Seats with Silver inserts
BMW X6 40d Azurite Black, Ind Slate Leather, Professional Hi-Fi, Top and Side View cameras,

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:55 am

The manual just says to 'avoid' using kick down during the first 1200 miles.  If I need to 'stretch the legs' on mine I put it into Manual and controlled the gears on the paddle shift, lifting off if I needed it to go down a couple before using the loud pedal.

I don't think it's for any other reason than being mechanically kind to a new car.... :)

With 8-gears these things lope along at about 75/80 mph with just 1700-1800rpm in 8th!!  You just never get the revs up if you don't 'intervene'.... ;)

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.