Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Almost 3 years old now

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Almost 3 years old now

Post by graemeX5 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:22 am

Hi

Yes like you I think the warranty over the last year on mine was £1k was in fact a bit of a waste as the car did a grand total of 6 miles last year, yes its true have MOT to prove it.

It was 3 miles back from the MOT station last year which was the week of the lockdown and then 3 miles down to the MOT station this year so yes 6 miles. The problem was i got the MOT last year during the week of the first lockdown as it was due on 28/03 and wasn’t covered by the Government MOT extension.

It was a nightmare as X5 was with BMW garage down for work and MOT and they called and said they were shutting that day and to collect the car. I tried another but they couldn’t do a 4x4 and then the other local one i use could do the MOT as the car MOT wasn’t covered by the government extension. So as i was working at home full time after getting the MOT done I ended up not bothering to tax it from April 2020.

So i think the cost per miles was about £240 per mile so i think it would have be cheaper to hire an Aston Martin for those 6 miles, haven’t told the wife the cost though, but she would probably know.

Anyhow just doubled the mileage X5 as has had to go to BMW for Propshaft recall check I think that’s the 4th time and brake fluid and a service.

Like you PVR i thought the warranty was not used last year but I have renewed it again this year on the basis the car is taxed and will be used, also considering selling it or possibly the JCW mini and going down from 3 cars to 2 (excluding the wife’s mini( as just not using them not really a surprise.

Glad to hear the X5M set a new record back on your journey and it was probably effortless and put a great big smile on your face as well

Graeme

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Almost 3 years old now

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:54 am

It was indeed lovely yes. Hope to get back over to the continent next month as I haven't been back since December.

I didn't renew the connected drive services though as I always use Waze on carplay now so don't think I am missing anything with that.

Did renew the Porsche for 3 years though, even though that had done less than 100 miles last year as well. I won't calculate cost per mile for any of my cars though, as even with the Golf I did less than 100 miles and the Abarth probably about 200 during the year. Just the Jeep that did just shy of 1000.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Almost 3 years old now

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:59 am

I will probably renew some of the connected drive functions in December as BMW have just extended the subscriptions (due to COVID?) and we’re l9oking at replacing the F46. Rumour is that there might be a new version later this year so I don’t want to lease another one of the same two weeks before a new model. EV still not an option as we need more range, and £50k+ for a family EV with 200-mile (real-world) range is too much, especially given the WLTP figures are for warm conditions, single crew so useless in the UK and multi-passenger.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Almost 3 years old now

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:36 pm

There is always the Black Friday deals as well. I bought my Car Play (non annual, just one off price) with that, and my son extended his traffic info and map updates as well. Is half price then.

sp3ctre
Administrator
Administrator

Almost 3 years old now

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:49 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:36 pm There is always the Black Friday deals as well. I bought my Car Play (non annual, just one off price) with that, and my son extended his traffic info and map updates as well. Is half price then.
Bit of a long wait for Black Friday though! Sooner we get away from paid map updates the better. Whenever I drive my wife's Hyundai with Carplay it makes my A6 seem like it's from the distant past!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Almost 3 years old now

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:36 pm

Not sure the CarPlay option will work as I didn’t order it with the car.

I’ve just found that BMW don’t support the iPhone12 in the X6 either. It only covers up to the iPhoneX and needs a slight software update in the car which BMW won’t provide. Apple support the car - they cover most of the Bluetooth standards natively, but not BMW. I’ll have to keep swapping SIMs with a good ol’ iPhone 6plus. I don’t buy new phones that often! My last Škoda (2015 Superb) came with CarPlay as standard (as do many other cars), but BMW want(ed) money for it. It may be standard now of course.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Almost 3 years old now

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:05 pm

BMW Assured Warrsnty for our 2-series Gran Tourer (F46 220d xDrive MSport) has just come through. £669 if paid annually or £69/mo if paid that way and with zero excess. Drops to £55/mo if prepared to take a £100 excess, or £47/mo with a £250 excess. Will be getting rid of the car before July ‘22 as the PCP deal ends and will be looking to trade for something else. I’ll probably take the monthly as I can stop it at any point.

Looked at leasing for the replacement but that’s more expensive than a PCP because we need to do about 15k/yr miles and the best deals are 10k/yr. As soon as I put a higher figure in the costs rise sharply. I’ve got 6 years to go until retirement (I hope!) so the next one will probably be the last. After that I’ll look for a bwchiptune ‘modded’ mobility scooter :P

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Almost 3 years old now

Post by pvr » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:20 pm

Inresting amount though, seems fairly steep. I pay £900 a year for the Porsche which is not that much more (also zero excess).

6 years till retirement - didn't realise you were 70? :evil:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Almost 3 years old now

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:23 pm

Youngsters - pah!

Warranty is full cover to the value of the car including breakdown other than ‘wear & tear’ items. Interestingly that doesn’t cover the modern LED lamps as these are excluded even though they should last years. LED modules are serious money too (depending upon brand) and I can’t imagine the latest laser illuminators now in many models being cheap either! Cover stays up to 100k miles regardless of age, though they will ‘decline’ should the car have more than 60k at policy start. The price is also fixed on monthly pay. My X6 policy has only changed due to Insurance Tax rises, and I’m paying less now than I would for a new policy on that car.