Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5M missed running in service should I run a mile.

Sapphire4.8is

Post by Sapphire4.8is » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my aging 4.8is and the favorite is an f85 X5M, as it is effectively a much newer version of what I have now in my mind.

I went to see one today, a 2018 plate, advertised with full service history.
The car was in good condition, drove well and had quite a few options, however it is high miles for a 2018, at 59000 ish, my thinking is that this doesn't matter too much in itself as I expect to do below average miles, so when I come to sell in a few years it should have evened out.

But the issue is that on looking at the service history on the on board computer I saw that the running in service was carried out over 11,000 miles late, I.e. at around 12,500 miles instead of 1200, in addition to this, the last service, done at 57,000 miles was also done over 10,000 miles later than it should have been.

To me this is a big red flag, but I thought I would ask what others think, would you run a mile from this car? Or would it not bother you as it is now out of its BMW warranty anyway?

The car is being offered with a 12 month 3rd party warranty, i also wondered if the 3rd party company would be likely decline any claims if they knew of the late services, does anyone have any experience of this?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:59 pm

Personally I would steer clear. What else hasn’t been done would be my thought? Those a big gaps between required and done date. As you say the overall mileage is high but with modern engines so what. BMW themselves might be worth asking warranty wise as it’s just (less than 1k miles) below their decline point at 60k. It wouldn’t be cheap as a warranty and even they may refuse because if the lack of correct servicing.

Might be worth also establishing what tyres are fitted. If the owner skipped servicing did they ‘go cheap’ elsewhere?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:00 pm

Everybody knows how important these services are so why anybody wouldn't do it is a mystery :cry: It doesn't sound much like the owner gave a monkeys and it certainly wasn't due to money given how expensive that car is/was so Id be inclined to leave it , if true it must be about the only one out there that didn't have it done.
Maybe check with the dealer see if it just wasn't recorded properly first ? :driving:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:32 pm

Based on the little amount of info available at this time, i'd walk on and find another ☺

Sapphire4.8is

Post by Sapphire4.8is » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 pm

Thanks, this just confirms my thoughts really.
it's a shame as otherwise the car seems great, but I'm pretty sure come resale time most people would be dubious.
It is pretty cheap for a 2018 plate, especially with all the options it has.

From what I can gather it couldn't be sold as BMW AUC due to the services being so late, hence it was offloaded to a 3rd party trader, so I think the chances of getting a BMW backed warranty would be pretty slim.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:23 am

A wise decision in my opinion.

When you find the right car do come back and join in :thumbsup:

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:19 pm

They are great cars, loving mine. Strange about the servicing though as it hasn’t been very expensive for me so far. Although I have only done 11k in mine …

IanP

Post by IanP » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 am

I would never run one of these without a bmw warranty.
But the service costs arent particularly expensive for what it is. New discs made me cry though.

M50dG05

Post by M50dG05 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:45 pm

One possibility is that the car hasn't been updated to reflect the online service portal? Lazy techs sometimes do this when in a rush, update online and then not bother doing the car on the basis that "it'll get updated next time it's connected" which is true - BUT if it hasn't been connected, and if the inbuilt online subs have ended..

Can't believe someone would miss the vital running in service, and potentially void the warranty from virtually day one..

Might be worth speaking to BMW cust serv, give then the reg, and see if they hold a record of more frequent visits?