Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential X5

t90ark

Potential X5

Post by t90ark » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:07 pm

I'm still in the hunt for an X5 and saw this car today.

https://www.drivenofyork.co.uk/used-bmw ... re-2750727

The service history it says is not BMW or BMW independent. What do we think about that?
F15 X5 30d Msport in Sapphire Black metallic
e89 Z4 30i sDrive in Sapphire Black metallic

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Potential X5

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Looks good, but top dollar for that car. I would have expected memory seats rather than the standard version though. With a FSH from BMW it might have a slightly higher value. It does have a lot on it, just some odd choices but then each to their own when speccing a car as to what’s important and what isn’t.

Driver’s seat needs a good clean. :P
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

t90ark

Post by t90ark » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Would you worry about the lack of BMW service history?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:25 pm

Not overly, but it depends upon where it was serviced and did they know what they were doing wrong error codes and changing what needed changing at the right time. That being said, many BMW Dealers were known for not changing the air filters on the M57 series engines because they were a pig to do (down the side of the engine), or fuel filters. Mine were done by main dealers under warranty, but I do all of the routine servicing now with only occasional checks by an Indy. The major service would be done by the Indy too, simply because I’m getting too old to faff about under cars these days :oops:

As long as it has been serviced at the right intervals with the right oils then there’s not much else on modern cars. If you were going to buy it then it’s probably worth asking BMW if there are any outstanding recalls etc, and maybe getting an *ndy to have a look on the understanding that if anything is found the supplying dealer needs to fix it. Sold as seen is no longer permitted in the UK.

At that asking price I would be expecting an AUC type warranty and they’re worth about £2k, hence dealer cars with it being more expensive.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

t90ark

Post by t90ark » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Interesting what you're saying regards the price.

I'm looking st about £20/21k and unless I go seriously high mileage, I'm not seeing a lot around. I'm looking closer to home ideally which is the sunny south coast.

Thanks for all your info, by the way. I'm only just on the first rung of the ladder, lol.

sid10

Post by sid10 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 pm

The M sport was worth the extra to me , along with the peace of mind with a warranty from a main dealer .
These cars were 55k and are still expensive to maintain and service , with tyres at 1k a set , check they are the correct star marked tyres as if not they can cause issues to diffs . They sold lots so waiting for the right one will pay dividends . M sport is more desirable for resale as is full main dealer service history .
The car looks good and has plenty of extras but wheels look refurbished and lack of history would worry me .
good luck
Sid10

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:12 am

t90ark wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:07 pm I'm still in the hunt for an X5 and saw this car today.

https://www.drivenofyork.co.uk/used-bmw ... re-2750727

The service history it says is not BMW or BMW independent. What do we think about that?

If you want brutally honest opinions, the car looks nice but ordinary. At any price point little details like missing wheel M badges would grate me, and what's with the "admin fee"? I've never understood that. A car is x£s, buyer negotiates and buys a car, why is there any additional fee?

I wouldn't be pursuing that example myself.

t90ark

Post by t90ark » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:16 am

Thanks Fellas.

No too fussed on Msport, to be honest. I worry its a little firm for my ageing bones, lol. That said, if one pops up I'll certainly consider it,

My initial thought was it needs BMW history or at least a BMW indy history. Just seeing how others with more experience view it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:20 pm

I thought the same about having an msport, but having driven one was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was compared to a 3 series m sport boneshaker I had a few years ago.

If you are still keen on the car might be worth getting a history check done to see if it shows anything up and asking a few questions abouts its use and details of service and mot history.

Mot history from one of the free sites below, nothing showing for 2019, so may have been laid up for a while and only 6000 odd miles since Sept 18.

September 2018

MoT MOT Test | 48,216 miles
Pass
September 2017

MoT MOT Test | 34,747 miles
Pass
September 2014

First registered on the road
17th September 2014

t90ark

Post by t90ark » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:16 pm

No. It won't be that car. Besides, its in Yorkshire.... I'm in Southampton, lol.

The wait goes on.