Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Wayfarer

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Just a quick question can anyone recommend a source for a genuine set of staggered 19 or 20” wheels, other than trawling eBay etc or talking to a BMW dealer? Presently have a straight set of 19” winters on my f15 40d and looking at other options for the Spring.

I have a set of 21” staggered summers in the garage, but given the states of the roads especially when towing the caravan and feel that 19” or 20” may be a better option. I intend to keep the 21’s for when it becomes time to move the car on or when not towing.

Changing the wheels to something with more rubber and less alloy would appear to be the most sensible option rather changing the car for something else!

Although it will be three years old in September, so will then have to consider BMW extended warranty or put money aside each month etc. as well, it’s been a great car so far although it’s not been far in the last 12 months due to various lock downs etc. I am sure I’ll post on here asking about general reliability nearer the time.
Last edited by Wayfarer on Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wheel suppliers

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:59 pm

Alloywheelsdirect are a supplier of OEM at below Dealer prices.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Wayfarer

Re: Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:10 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look at their website and see what they have to offer.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:51 am

Thanks again great info, Alloywheelsdirect looks to have a good selection of wheels tyres etc, no they cheap though, but at least no risk involved buying new - compared with used from the Bay etc, so just need to decide on 19 or 20" and then a style, I will get a comparative price from my friendly bmw dealer, then have to raid my piggy bank.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:07 pm

Should read "not that cheap though" flipping auto correct! Will compare prices with bmw dealer ones and see how they compare.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Alloywheelsdirect offer a tyre package too, so four wheels off new four straight on, job done ☺

Wayfarer

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:27 pm

Just to close this thread out after a very long time!
Eventually bought some used BMW 469 20” machined finish wheels that had corroded on the centre areas, rest of wheels in good condition and without tyres, fast forward two years and booked them in for refurbishment and painting using shadow chrome and masking to replicate the original finish. Six months later and changed to shadow chrome only, spray painted, 2 pack lacquer, new Dunlop sports max gt RF star rated tyres fitted and balanced, 21” wheels removed and 20” fitted, first impressions are the ride is much smoother.
The savings on the tyre costs over the 21” almost covered the cost of the wheels and refurb.

As fitted
As fitted
IMG_1403.jpeg (173.2 KiB) Viewed 8196 times

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by X5Sport » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:41 pm

Looks good :thumbsup:

Just replaced a wheel on the E46 (bent by a pothole) and BMWs price was within £5 of Alloy Wheels Direct by the time delivery was added. Need to get the other three refurbed. Local Dealer will get them done for £95 + vat each. Need acid dipping due to corrosion.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:28 pm

They do look nice, shadow chrome is a great but expensive option. Corrosion around the exterior hub area is a curious but significant BMW issue,. Depending on the level of corrosion not all wheels are suited for refurbishment., I've seen some for sale with so much metal machined off, the centre badges protrude and there are no M badges as the indent had completely gone.

FWIW those are type 468s, but 469s are similar :D

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:34 pm

A pic would help.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230828_190849_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230828_190849_Chrome.jpg (121.21 KiB) Viewed 8176 times

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by X5Sport » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:58 pm

Am I the only one who thinks the prices for a bit of squashed Ally are mad? Even with 30% off!!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:09 pm

Bonkers prices and not just for vehicle alloy wheels. 🙄

StuBeeDoo

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:48 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:28 pmDepending on the level of corrosion not all wheels are suited for refurbishment., I've seen some for sale with so much metal machined off, the centre badges protrude and there are no M badges as the indent had completely gone.
I've never been a lover of "diamond cut" wheels, although back in the dim and distant past I did have 2 different cars with them. :(
Locally, we have several refurbers - at least one will only paint or powdercoat, one won't touch diamond cut wheels at all, and another one will attempt to refinish them, but if they have to take more than 0.5mm taken off they consider them scrap - so you might just as well have them fully painted/coated rather than risk the attempt.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Wayfarer

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:19 am

My “new” wheels came of a good condition fairly low mileage x6, and according to the wheel man hadn’t been refurbished before, the only corrosion was around the centre caps.
I agree the prices for new ones are crazy, and I also don’t understand why machine cut are so popular as they are so expensive to repair, presumably manufacturing costs are lower?
Thanks for the correction on the part no, I was close😀
The other thing I don’t understand is the continuing push to larger wheels, especially with the state of the roads, my x5 came with 21” run flat tyres and the improvement in ride quality with these 20” wheels is significant ( same make model of RF tyres).
Not to mention the massive difference in tyre price.
Looking to get my 19” winter’s refurbished next spring and fit new tyres, these were bought new with the car, unbelievably they are also diamond cut) and only ones available at the time from BMW!
It’s a real pity that there don’t appear to be any star marked all season RF tyres available for the f15 X5, as that would make life a lot simpler and easier.

Photo of wheels on collection from the refurbisher
IMG_1397.jpeg
IMG_1397.jpeg (182.08 KiB) Viewed 8147 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Genuine Wheel suppliers

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:43 am

All weather tyres from Vredestein, albeit not runflats are supposd to be to BMW specs. Not ☆ marked either but i posted a thread on this very subject.

That will be my next set of rubber on 20" rims