Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intermittent starting

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Supercooper04

Intermittent starting

Post by Supercooper04 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:49 pm

I have 2005 3.0d X3. recently I have intermittent non start problems which I'm struggling to sort out. I originally thought it was a faulty battery but that all test okay.

You can sit in the car, turn the key, lights and radio come on but the car doesn't start when the ignition is in the crank position. You can turn the key a few time and it will start.

I've done a drop/ load test on the battery and that's okay. The battery is charging, the battery terminals aren't loose. its charging on idle with the radio on etc at 14v.

Starter pulls the battery down to 10v or 11v. there is no solenoid click when you crank it and doesn't start the dash lights dont dim either.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Intermittent starting

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:54 pm

If you can, use a current clamp to check the starter power draw. There is a known issue with the actual starter motors around that period, especially in the M57 engine. They are rated at 2.2kW / 180A. If it draws more than that it’s a faulty one. I’ve changed two now. One drew over 900A and the other about 560A so starting could be challenging.

Changing them is a diy job as long as you have long reach tolls, bendy extensions and Torx sockets and the bolts are very tight!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.