Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Value/ prices..

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Themoog2

Value/ prices..

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:07 am

As any of you who read my post will know that I am constantly surfing the market place on the off chance a bargain may pop up. Anyway, has anyone else noticed the prices of (decent) V8 E53’s creeping up?
December 2019 I was offered a 4.8is for 2k. These are now regularly on Autotrader pushing 8-10k. I should have bought it…Whether they sell at that price is a different matter but I’ve also spotted 4.4’s at 5-6k.
I wonder if people are beginning to realise that good ones are getting rarer and this is driving prices up a bit. I’m hearing that used car prices a are going up anyway.
Thoughts.

Greydog

Value/ prices..

Post by Greydog » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:01 am

Can't say I have followed the market but a few years back I read that in 2002/3 only 800 odd 4.6is were registered in the UK and that less than half that remain registered
So maybe I have an appreciating classic :D :D Worth keeping the old girl a bit longer

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Value/ prices..

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:00 pm

With tree hugging having become the norm, fossil fuel cars are doomed, as we know. Given that most V8s are a rarer breed even normally, i suspect increasing prices are possible as people realise its a last chance scenario.

Even though i can't really justify my 3.0lt diesel, i have been looking at X6Ms as my final car for my remaining driving years :roll:
Last edited by sapphireblack on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greydog

Value/ prices..

Post by Greydog » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:21 pm

So in 9 years the sale of "New" Fossil fuel cars will be banned in the UK which for me raises a few questions?

1. There are around 35m cars registered in the UK, new car sales run at around 2m a year of that 2m around 15% are Electric or Hybrid. The Government can't just take 33m cars off the road (political Hari Kari) How long realistically will it take to phase out the cars that exist.
2. Around 60% of the Car owners out there will never own a "New" car due to cost etc. What are the reliability statistics on 2nd 3rd user Electric/Hybrid cars (I have no idea I hope someone has some statistics) We know that a well maintained modern engine Petrol or Diesel will last hundreds of thousands of miles
3. Has anyone found a practical way to repurpose/reuse/re-cycle automotive batteries ?
4. Have you noticed that LPG filling stations are being phased out? A greener fossil fuel being replaced by re-charge points that at present are unlikely to see much use
5. As far as I am aware the UK is the only country taking this action on this time scale so what will happen to the thousands of trucks and cars coming here from Europe that will find re-fuelling virtually impossible as more Fuel stations go Electric?
6. Last but not least Insurance ? A shooting friend owns a Tesla which took a side impact at a roundabout (someone joining without looking) the car was driven away from the collision point after exchanging details. Ten days later the car was written off apparently floor and battery section had damage and were unrepairable.

Just the thoughts of an Old Bloke who may not be driving in 9 years time. So I will carry on driving my old V8 in the comfortable knowledge that by now my car is carbon neutral as all the carbon used in manufacturing has been recovered many times, and every time I drive it I am encouraging someone to plant a tree :rofl:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Value/ prices..

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:37 pm

The new electric car batteries are recyclable (though at 5 times the cost of producing them, something that will fall with time). They are also being used in power storage centres to provide a boost when demand is high. Recharging is from solar or wind powered facilities. The Tesla version is something like a PowerWall?

The other question is, who is going to want to buy a second hand e-car when the main power source has a limited lifespan due to chemistry and physics and the cost of replacement is huge at present? Battery power is only a stop gap until fuel cells get cheaper.

Even a normal car can have a side swipe with no obvious damage but then be found to need repairs that are uneconomical. A fired seat belt retractor means a new floor-pan!

I’m not convinced about electric except under certain use cases because the range is still far too short, or a journey of say 300 miles could entail an additional two hour stop (less if a charging point is available at the time I pull up to need one) on top of a 6-hour run. Where my family live has no charging points within a sensible range and it hardly seems fair to rock up and have to plug the car in overnight at their expense on a domestic power point.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

Value/ prices..

Post by marti » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:54 pm

Decent e53's ....diesel or petrol bottomed out at approx 4k about 2yrs ago...so now it depends on mileage covered etc etc.....

Greydog

Value/ prices..

Post by Greydog » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:45 am

I guess like all technology electric vehicle batteries will develop, just like our mobile phone and laptop batteries (same re-cycling issues), currently though a little less than 60% of a Tesla battery can be re-cycled (Tesla figures) It also bothers me that they place their production unit in Shanghai (the Cynic in me says less worry about emissions) No mention of where they hide the remaining 40%

The sideswipe Vic's Tesla suffered looked like paint damage and dent to rear door only from outside, no safety devices triggered including the cars own onboard emergency systems. The car is/was top of the range £70k less than 3 years old, my own view is that the skill set isn't there yet to work on these complicated aluminium and composite constructed bodies. Didn't put him off he's back in a Tesla Model X

The real future is in fuel cells as said, but that is quite a way into the future I fear. Who knows maybe a clever Tesla engineer will think about splitting the battery pack operating the car on half the battery while self charging the other half on the move the technology already exists to do that and automatically switch between the two when a set level of discharge is reached.

Being in my late 70's all this is more a concern for our children and Grand children than for my generation but the engineer in me wants to see a sensible solution and a measured transition.

Themoog2

Value/ prices..

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:10 pm

I just like V8’s. Not necessarily the power but the ‘aura” if you know what I mean. I have a supercharged Range Rover and that sounds so much better than my X5 from inside. When the handbrake drives off in my X5 it’s sounds good too.
Anyway, we are going off topic..
Would you pay 8-10k for a 2005 E53 4.8? I’m not sure I would. Especially as I’ve spotted an E70 4.8 for £7995…

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Value/ prices..

Post by Leslie » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:29 pm

Can't see those prices being paid for an e53 any time soon as the e53 is still an old car but not old enough to be a classic just yet. Once a lot of the rougher ones are scrapped then values may rise but as said the e70 is a better bet for most :driving:
See a lot of cars listed for way above top book price but they are listed for years and generally don't sell.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Value/ prices..

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:23 pm

I’ve noticed that our E46 value is lower than I thought (or perhaps hoped?), but I’ve no idea as to where to get a ‘decent’ guesstimate of value from. I know the industry uses Glass’s Guide but I don’t have access to that as a mere mortal. At 16 years old/72k miles it was never going to be worth a huge amount, rare or not that the 330Cd MSport ‘vert’ is these days (the 320d was much more popular). If it drops much more it won’t be worth the tax or insurance to run it, especially as it spends 6 months in storage each year.

Values were just starting to edge up but I fear the deadline for new ICE cars from 2030 has put the end to ‘classic car’ status for many. Fuel will be around for a while, though ‘demon diesel’ may become politically unsavoury sooner. Shame really as that engine (same as the E53) on a lighter car pulls like a train (it out-torques the M3 but runs out of revs earlier) and doesn’t have the bills that the M3 of that generation comes with. No SMG box to worry about either, just a proper manual with three pedals.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Value/ prices..

Post by Leslie » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:38 am

Expensive if your a buyer, worthless if you are a seller always the way :rofl: