Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Paint.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Paint.

Post by henrym3 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:46 pm

I have a man coming to look at the paint on the X5 tomorrow with a view to having the drivers side front and back door, some mirror caps and a little bit of rust on the tailgate done. He’s just done the R32 and I’m very impressed.
Just arrived today is my Xtrons Android unit and hopefully the Resler ibus module and DSP license will be here soon. I’m hoping that the DAB and TV modules will inter grate with it. I have front rear and reverse cameras fitted and don’t see any problem with them being a straight plug in. We shall see.

Themoog2

Paint.

Post by Themoog2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:31 am

I put a rear camera on mine a while ago but it’s not wired up as I don’t know what to do. I have navigation but the smaller screen head unit. Do I wire it to the tv unit by the battery or what? If anyone can tell me how to do it…
Why are you having body work done?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Paint.

Post by henrym3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:24 pm

At the moment I have a Dynavin N6 fitted but in order to have OBC facilities I need the head unit plugged in and working which I had. It has been in there for about 6 years but has finally packed up. So rather than get it repaired I decided to replace everything with an Android. I’ll probably sell the Dynavin which is working fine.
The bodywork needs doing on the drivers side because for some reason, unknown to me, on the top of the drivers door the paint has literally disappeared and has developed other areas on the door that are faded, rear door paintwork is down to undercoat in various areas?? Rest of vehicle is fine. No dents scratches or anything to suggest why this is. Little bit of rust, 5p size on tailgate. Mirror caps are just a refresh as they seem to take a battering.
On the subject of mirrors I had a mountain of bit and pieces of broken damaged mirror parts and motors which I have now managed to build 2 fully working spare mirrors. Got some repair kits with gears and such, overall not to difficult. Lucky though I didn’t need micro switches as they seem like rocking horse poo to find.
As for reverse camera, the wiring to the Dynavin was simple. Used the reverse light wiring for power and earth ran an auxiliary lead to the head unit. When I select reverse, camera comes on and I get a small graphic display of the PDC sensors. I’m sure though the OEM fitted display will be much more complicated.

Greydog

Paint.

Post by Greydog » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:15 am

For reverse camera connections to OEM Sanj posted a great how to with wiring diagram try searching for it
Used in the 4.6 and it is still working

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Paint.

Post by Leslie » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:09 pm

Nice after paint when they look mint again for a short time 8) when I was changing my wheels over was so careful of the wall behind when opening boot then when finished moved car back 2 inches to get wheel choke out forgot myself went round and opened boot which now just caught the high wall capping on opening :headbang: small inch paint scrape :thumbsdown:

Themoog2

Paint.

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:51 am

I've read that camera install thing. Still don't know..
My door mirrors don't work correctly. Driver side won't fold in and the passenger folds in but as soo as it remove the key it folds back out. Odd.

Greydog

Paint.

Post by Greydog » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:19 am

Sounds like you have a fault in the drivers mirror the most probable cause as X5Sport said is the micro switch. On my 4.4 the little lugs that locate the switch had broken allowing it to move. the symptoms were the same as yours. Looks like you have a mirror strip and rebuild ahead.
The micro switches used to be available through Maplins but they aren't around now so again as X5Sport said Rocking Horse stuff to find.

To get the Camera working reliably Sanj's diagram is the way to go

Wayfarer

Paint.

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:02 pm

Try CPC Farnell or RS components for micro switches, both have a reasonable selection, although not familiar with the ones bmw use.