Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Latest escapades..

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Themoog2

Latest escapades..

Post by Themoog2 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:54 pm

Got in the car with my daughter who is 11 the other day and I found an Oasis cassette in the arm rest box. She said "what's that?".. Now, the tape player in mine has never worked as some goon wired in an aux cable through the ash tray and I've never used it.
Anyway, later I whipped out the centre vent and head unit, repaired all the chopped cables then put it all back together.
Bingo! A retro cassette player.
'Cigarettes and alcohol' has been blasting ever since..
Next was the steering. I always thought it was a bit heavy and I saw a video on YouTube by Zero to 60 who have an E53 4.6.
They sprayed degreaser on the steering knuckle by the engine then re oiled it and got lighter steering as a result.
I did the same to mine and I used spray grease to lube it and now my steering is much lighter. I can twist easily with one finger now.
Highly recommend..

Bladerunner919

Re: Latest escapades..

Post by Bladerunner919 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:49 pm

Themoog2 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:54 pm Next was the steering. I always thought it was a bit heavy and I saw a video on YouTube by Zero to 60 who have an E53 4.6.
They sprayed degreaser on the steering knuckle by the engine then re oiled it and got lighter steering as a result.
I did the same to mine and I used spray grease to lube it and now my steering is much lighter. I can twist easily with one finger now.
Highly recommend..
Can you post a link to that video - I'd be interested to have a look?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 14, 2021 9:24 pm

It annoyed me that when we bought the E46 and E53 back in 2004, the E46 with the same Nark 4 Nav had a MiniDisc in the head but the E53 could only ever have a cassette. I don’t use cassettes any longer (I do still have a proper deck though) and we do use the MiniDisc. One of those oddities from the past I know but it works.

I though cassettes and vinyl were all making a comeback?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:48 pm

https://youtu.be/qfmWQbKb3IA
That’s the link
As for cassettes etc - I bought a stack jacket stack hifi in a glass front cabinet on eBay about 5 years ago. I paid £110. It came with all the original paperwork and in 1983 it was £499 so it was a proper piece of kit.
It’s the talking point in our house whenever anyone visits..
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (340.97 KiB) Viewed 1271 times