Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dismantling Headlamps - to raise High Beam only.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:34 pm

Good afternoon Ladies, I'm liking the new layout of this site again.

The problem....
When the dip beam is set correctly, the Main Beam ball of light is way too low & useless.
I have done a bit of searching & told the electrical adjuster may have disconnected & caused the aim to fall.

When I grab the rear reflector of the high beam, after removing the bulb change cover, the reflectors are not loose.

When I adjust the aim height of low-beam, it also sets the high-beam. !!

is there any schematic drawing of the contents of the headlight units, so as to take apart & solely adjust the High-Beam or raise it on its own ?

1- - - Can the headlight unit be removed without removing the front of the vehicle ?
2- - - Can the High-Beam aim only, aim be adjusted WITHOUT removing the headlamp unit ?
3- - - Is this a common fault with an easy fix ?

regards to all
Grant B

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:41 pm

I can only answer No1. The bumper has to be moved forward about 10mm to get the light out. Really annoying.
Have you looked at the low beam to ensure it isn’t loose. Is the vertical aim control working, ie lights move on switching on. Perhaps the ball joint in the vertical aim is worn. I could be talking bollocks though as I haven’t had the problem. Good luck

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:02 pm

Many thanks Henry, I will check this out.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:05 pm

BMW Tech Inst states that hi/lo beams cannot be adjusted separately after 1995. If it’s both sides then I would have thought it was unlikely both would have failed in the same way?

I can’t find an assembly drawing of a light unit - sorry :(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:12 pm

This was my thought exactly... one or other fails, not BOTH.

I have lifted the dip beams up as far as I dare without upsetting very poor bugger coming toward me, but the mains are setting the ball of light centred over the top of the dip beam outline, & it is too low as a result.
I had an identical E53 a couple of years ago, but the Main beans shone a lot higher. currently the mains will only illuminate about 20 metres ahead of the dups, which is hopeless. The Mains are 50w HID's & not doing much as a result.

My other thought was to "tweak" the bulb mounting metal bases to move the bulb higher or lower in the reflector to effect the beam being raised possibly ?

When I have the covers off the back of the lights where you would change a bulb, there is zero slop or movement from any of the lamp reflectors, they are all secure.

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:14 pm

I have tried to find a sectional/strip down drawing of these lights also, but nothing that I can find.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:33 am

As far as I am aware around 2002 the type of glue used to seal the Headlamp units changed making post 2002/3 headlamp units virtually sealed for life. Prior to that the glue was softer so the headlamp could be dismantled with the help of a hot air gun to soften the adhesive. Taking the headlamp out of the car is easy remove trim below headlamp then remove 4 screws and the connectors slide it out. Just taken my nearside out to give better access to the Aux water pump.
Are you sure the Vertical Aim sensor is working ? When I start (my lights are on auto ) the headlamp aim self tests (lowers and raises) each unit has its own electrical adjuster but the vertical aim sensor is at the rear. If I recall if it fails default is low to avoid dazzling other drivers.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:36 pm

Well Greydog I take my hat of to you I have never been able to manoeuvre a headlight out without moving the bumper. I have a 2002 and have had the front covers of the lights to fit CCFL angle eyes. I followed a thread from somewhere and it involved removing the rubber bits and bulb covers bunging it in the oven at 200c for 10 minutes and this allowed the covers to be taken off. It was a heart stopping 10 minutes. I have read that in 2002 they changed the glue but don’t know from what month. Mine was registered in September 2002

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Headlamps out, I have never had to move the bumper just take care manoeuvring the unit over the headlamp washers

Mine is Feb 2003 and I did the self same job as you Henry, I had no problem taking the headlamp units out nearside was a fairly straight forward job with a son wielding the heat gun even easier once I found the screw hidden in the Goo near the indicator!! I wasn't brave enough for the Oven trick.

Drivers side was another matter could we get the glue to soften could we hell, then my son noticed the manufacture mark was 09/2003, the passenger one was 07/2002 Clearly the drivers side unit had been changed at some point. I tried with a Dremmel in the end brought a unit from Ebay that was earlier vintage

I powered mine from a feed in the main ECU fuse box so they act as DRL and stay on 20 secs after shut down.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:27 pm

I’m amazed that even a Drexel didn’t work. At least we can offer advice that it was still the soft clue up to at least the 09/02. I do like the angle eyes staying on for 20 seconds after switching off. Any chance you remember which ECU connection that achieved this.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:07 pm

Hi Henry
I will take a picture tomorrow and post it

Dave

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 pm

When the vehicle powers up & the lights switched on, they both tilt extremely low, then very high, then settle at the pre-set angle as per normal.
I am wondering if there was a manufacturing error where both main beam reflectors are some how set too low...

I will pull bot headlights out over the weekend and have a look inside each.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:22 am

Are you sure the headlamps have been mounted correctly ?

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:29 am

Morning Henry
P1000859.JPG
P1000859.JPG (179.01 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

When you open the ECU box at the front you will see the Black plug 3rd wire in Red/White stripe is the one you want.
I ran 2 wires 1 taped to the engine bay loom to the nearside headlamp the across the top of the rad to the off side. scotch locked the nearside angel eyes and terminal block the off side (in case I need to change) earth points are from the headlamp
The second wire I ran to the rear my cunning plan was to fit an LED into the rear light clusters to give full front rear DLR with delay
Like you so many jobs plus the dogs and hobbies Oh and the Chancellor always has a "Priority" list for tha stable :rofl: I still take the od bit of Project work for a rest :D

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:28 am

Found it!!, have written several times re splitting headlights, the magic date is: pre June 2002 is the cut off date for splitable headlamps.
On your headlamp carcase there is a build date clock .that will show date build of headlamp, not necessary the same as when car was registered.
Lez