Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air suspension.

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Mikey

Air suspension.

Post by Mikey » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:55 pm

So have been waiting on my air suspension to fuck upp and it has been quite "moody" the last days. Logged on with my bmw scanner and got the "Reservoir pressure remains constant, when filling of reservoir is requested".

Went ahed and thought it had to be a faulty compressor, bought a set of new seals. Did not fix the fault.
Now i can hear the compressor pumping, and on the last "pumps" it sounds like a burst of air leaks out, is this correct or could this be where the fault is at ?

Sim0x

Re: Air suspension.

Post by Sim0x » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Could it possibly be a relief valve blowing off from over pressure?

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:17 pm

could be, would make sence since it only blow's out after the compressor stops. But im not sure if there even is such a valve in the system :P

Sim0x

Post by Sim0x » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm not sure either, and it would 'blow off' when the compressor is running. I only know as I'm an ex-valve technician lol

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Does sound like there is a leak somewhere. Can you get a the error codes checked to see if there is anything showing up.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:38 pm

"Reservoir pressure remains constant, when filling of reservoir is requested". This is error code, cant see the car "leaning" on either corner so would assume the bags are fine?

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:19 am

Not sure on that one tbh. Could be the pump not performing correctly.

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Sounds like compressor seals.
Or Reservoir pressure transmitter / switch
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:31 pm

so what i said about the car not leaning, well that was a mistake. The front is all the way down, while the back is in ride hight. The compressor have gotten new seals only thing iv tryed at this point. So is there some kinde of regulator betwene front and rear? any diagrams that showes the "air line\s" to the front ? im guessing either a leak or a faulty sensor.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Ah ok you have front and rear air suspension.

In that case, you have an accumulator (air tank) ands valve block located under the right side of the X. It is a pain to get to as you need to get the side step off to release all the fixings etc. It may be the valve block which regulates the air to each corner is not working correctly.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:42 pm

bugger. I am realy starting to regret buying car with air suspension. If i where to deliver the car to a garage, what do you thing i would be looking at in labour houers?

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:46 am

Do a coil conversion, this can end up silly prices. You really need a diagnostic first as it might just be sensors, which are about £80 each.  The rest of it is uber expensive - my 4.8 has just had warranty work done on the air suspension and the bill came to £££££- overall with a new nav, also under warranty, the final total was around £4K , although the nav was £2K of that!    I would never have done it if it were not a warranty issue- ended up paying for new sensors as warranty argued something about water damage, but the rest was covered. Airbags are a few hundred each and the compressor and ecu race the bill up into 1000s!    The air suspension is an absolute nightmare for repair bills.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:33 pm

So i deliverd the car today, and im pissing my pants thinking about the bill. The shop thought it was a leak. Will update when the bill and fix comes =)

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Will not speak about the bill, tho i can say it did hurt!. Fault was air leak + faulty compressor