Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water in the lower tailgate

How-To articles ONLY go here.
storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Water in the lower tailgate

Post by storminmike » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Fix, maintenance, underlying problem....you decide

Lifting the lower tailgate last night I heard a sloshing sound in the lower tailgate. Must be water, that can't be good.  May have got in via a pressure wash around the fog lights or other area unknown.

Lowering the tailgate I noticed 2 rubber plugs on the lower edge at the furthest extremeties. I pulled them both out and raised the tail gate and about 4 teaspoons of water came out. The bungs have splits in them (on purpose I guess) and there was some muck around them (cleaned) and replaced afte leaving it to drip dry. I noticed some strange yellow coour too which looked waxy. Not sure if this was OE wax or otherwise

Short answer, water inside can't be good and could rot out the rolled welded joint. Not even sure where it got in but high pressure on the inner lights seems a possible culprit

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=41&fg=60

The bungs (small fingernail size) are directly above the number 12 on the diagram above

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Water in the lower tailgate

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Seals round the lights could be failing which would allows water in, especially from a PW.  Bungs ought to allow drainage though.  Could also get in via the number plate holes - which is why I have mine put on the super grip sticky pads.

Yellow goo is almost certainly body wax which gets squirted into all the cavities at build.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:05 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Seals round the lights could be failing which would allows water in, especially from a PW.  Bungs ought to allow drainage though.  Could also get in via the number plate holes - which is why I have mine put on the super grip sticky pads.

Yellow goo is almost certainly body wax which gets squirted into all the cavities at build.

Richard
[/quote]

I think you're right with the bungs as they have slits in, not very big mind. I'm probably thankfull for that wax too. Worth a nosey for anyone maintaining to see if the water (if it gets in) can get out.

On the plus side I had a look at the bulb connections for the fog and reverse. As I thought, twist in bulbs with a central (3wire) multiplug. Debating a 15w hid for reverse as outposts suggests LED are 1/3 the candle power of the normal bulb. I also gave the channels between the wings and booot seal a good cleaning, and the seal some silicon "Tyre shine" spruce up
Last edited by storminmike on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:03 pm

I know this is an old post but I have just had my lower tailgate replaced under the BMW corrosion warranty for free due to rust bubbles appearing on the inside of the lower tailgate. check your car for evidence of this as it will be a matter of time before the water starts the corrosion process from inside that panel