Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

4.6is Alternator Failure, I thought is was the Gearbox or Torque Converter

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
LooneyLeon

4.6is Alternator Failure, I thought is was the Gearbox or Torque Converter

Post by LooneyLeon » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Hello all,

Thought i would share my experience on Friday night, I was convinced it was a Torque Converter, Gear Box, Diff or Axle failure and was basically pretty annoyed thinking great xmas etc.

So all was well as I was driving along, then all of a sudden I could hear a whining noise, I slowed down and opened the windows, sure enough the faster I went the more/louder the whine got.

As I turned into a junction near my house, the car started making a really loud metal on metal grinding noise and the car rev started to drop and eventually stalled as if the gearbpx had locked up. I thought either the engine had just blown apart or the gearbox, diff etc had locked up.

The car was stuck on the middle of two roads. after leaving the car and calling the RAC, I basically thought great here comes a 3k bill.

Anyway after I calmed down a bit I tried putting it in Natural and managed (with help) to push the beast a few yards out of the middle of the road.

The next day I tried restarting it, and got a really bad burning smell with smoke straight away. It turns out the Alternator has failed and locked up, so the Alternator belt was getting burnt up.

Today ive ordered a new Alternator, Alternator belt, AC Belt, 32mm Fan Wrench, Pulley Holder tool and I'm going to try and change the unit myself to save some money.

I've read a few horror stories about transmission failures etc so just so glad it wasn't that.

Guess the moral of the story is, just calm down and don't jump to conclusions it may not be as bad as you think.

I know there's a few DIY guides around on alternator replacement, but I might do a new one when I do this and make it really easy for people to understand.

I'm no mechanic so it should be fun lol.

Anyway Happy Christmas every one!

:xmaskiss:

:xmastongue:

Leon
A Wolf in Wolf's Clothing
BMW E53 2003 X5 4.6is

gchristofi

Re: 4.6is Alternator Failure, I thought is was the Gearbox or Torque Converter

Post by gchristofi » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:39 pm

Unlucky, but could have been worse! As a matter of interest, how much is a replacement alternator? Good luck with the project and look forward to your write up.

LooneyLeon

Post by LooneyLeon » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:43 pm

Hello, I got a brand new one (not refurbished) delivered next day for £260.

Ok its not a Bosch one but its built to the same spec apparently, it comes with the o ring etc and is warrented for a year.

Ive had a quick look at it looks well made to be fair.

I purchased the ac and main drive belts for £24, not bas as the are Contitech ones.

Its started snowing here today so I defo want to get the car on the road if we get more snow.
BMW E53 2003 X5 4.6is

LooneyLeon

Post by LooneyLeon » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:05 am

I may have jumped then gun a bit by oredering a new alternator,  as im 99% sure its bearing failure it appears to be quite easy for replace the bearings, ill see what happends tomorrow but I might repair the existing alternator and return the new one for a refund.
BMW E53 2003 X5 4.6is

gchristofi

Post by gchristofi » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:44 am

That would be good result. Let us know how u get on.

LooneyLeon

Post by LooneyLeon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 pm

In the end just put the new one in, will repair the original one and sell it.
BMW E53 2003 X5 4.6is