Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen washer reservoir runs out really quickly

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
AVI-8

Re: Windscreen washer reservoir runs out really quickly

Post by AVI-8 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi
The problem is a common one with BMW's, caused by the headlight washer system, it uses much more fluid than the screen wash, I've the same problem with my E53, simple fix which I've been meaning to do with mine, pull the fuse for the headlight washer, TBH the headlight washer is pretty ineffective anyway, just clean them often by other means, your washer fluid will last more than twice as long.
I did this with my 5 series which solved the problem, sorry I can't tell you which fuse to pull but a look at your fuse box, on the E53 it's on the passenger side under dashboard (probably same on E70), failing that google which fuse to pull.
Easy fix, hope this helps
Current
2006 X5 Le Mans Blue Sport Edition 3.0D
1991 Porsche 911 Carrera 2

technomad

Post by technomad » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:43 pm

[quote="squeaky2"]
Think the reservoir is 7 litres on e53 and 5 litres on e70
[/quote]

6L on both my E70s (it's on the cap). Dealer put wrong mix in when servicing the car in November and everything froze up a couple of weeks ago. When it all defrosted I a) got the dealer to replace the fuse for the headlight washers, which had blown and b) flushed the whole system through and refilled it myself from my 20l tank of BMW fluid. The results have been that I have far cleaner windows and lights, no freezing and I've just gone through a full tank in about 300 miles. I think it's just the time of year.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:55 am

As others have said, the Headlight washer system is the issue. It has an inline, high intensity pump which blasts the headlights to remove dirt and grime, unlike the spray to the windscreen which uses the wipers to remove the dirt and clean.

If the lines get blockages or at least start to get blocked, the high intensity pump still tries to blast through the same volume of liquid. This can create hydraulic action an burst a line leading to your headlamp wash or blow the line off.

This happened to my 5 series and my Screen Wash tank was just slowly draining.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Filthy roads at this time of year, with headlights on most of the time so they too get washed,  certainly use up the fluid.

But, on a related matter - does anyone know how to adjust the spray on the windscreen - mine strikes rather low - lifting it an inch or so would help.  I've not tried looking down the jet hole with a mirror to see what's down there!  E70 manufactured August 2007.

From the old man in the days of sticking a needle in the jet and moving it by trial and error!!!

Nine468

Post by Nine468 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:53 am

Regarding the screen washer jets.
Does anybody know how to get them off the car without breaking anything...
My passenger side has become "weak" and was thinking its blocked up. Ive tried the old needle in the jet trick, but that didnt do anything...
Then tried blasting some compressed air down , all to no avail.
Dave W.
BMW E70 X5 40D