Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0d 2002. Aluminum engine protection plate / tray removal?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
jmhc

3.0d 2002. Aluminum engine protection plate / tray removal?

Post by jmhc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:34 pm

Hello all,

We have an oil leak on the X5 & I need to remove the metal, ally, engine plate.  This is the one with the two plastic doors to access the sump plug & "I don't now what"?.  It is held on by six 17mm headed bolts, the nuts showing underneath.

I started on a couple only to find that they are not captive & once partially loosened simply spin with no apparent access to get to the bolt head.

I ran out of time over the weekend so will look again this weekend & hope to change oil & filter.  PCV, air, fuel, rear diff & transfer box all being done so far + seized suspension level sensor arm & chaffed cable repair too.

But really need the plate off to find the leak.

Any pointers most gratefully received please.

Thank you,

JMHC.
Shrewsbury.

PS. I have a 1.4 scanner & one for early VAG KKL so if any one needs a hand in the area drop me a PM.
Last edited by jmhc on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimX5

Re: 3.0d 2002. Aluminum engine protection plate / tray removal?

Post by TimX5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:17 pm

[quote="jmhc"]
Hello all,

We have an oil leak on the X5 & I need to remove the metal, ally, engine plate.  This is the one with the two plastic doors to access the sump plug & "I don't now what"?.  It is held on by six 17mm bolts, the nuts showing underneath.

I started on a couple only to find that they are not captive & once partially loosened simply spin with no apparent access to get to the bolt head.

I ran out of time over the weekend so will look again this weekend & hope to change oil & filter.  PCV, air, fuel, rear diff & transfer box all being done so far + seized suspension level sensor arm & chaffed cable repair too.

But really need the plate off to find the leak.

Any pointers most gratefully received please.

Thank you,

JMHC.
Shrewsbury.

PS. I have a 1.4 scanner & one for early VAG KKL so if any one needs a hand in the area drop me a PM.
[/quote]

You need to take the front plastic tray of and the rear one which covering the gearbox.

jmhc

Post by jmhc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:12 pm

Hello Tim,  Thank you.

So remove the front plastic under tray that attaches to the bumper (fender US inclusion) AND the rear covering the gearbox?

On the right UK drivers side the lower plastic cover in the wheel arch is missing.  where the drive shaft comes through.  I could feel the bolt head rotating here, but could not gain purchase upon it.

Am I to assume I will need to remove both sides of the lower plastic  inner "mud guard" to gain some access to this front bolt?

And similarly by removing the rear gearbox plastic tray I should be able to get in & get at the two on each side at the rear of the plate?

It was late, getting dark & naturally cold  so I maybe was not fully with it.  The Gin does not help either  ;-)

Cheers,

JMHC

TimX5

Post by TimX5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 pm

[quote="jmhc"]
Hello Tim,  Thank you.

So remove the front plastic under tray that attaches to the bumper (fender US inclusion) AND the rear covering the gearbox?

On the right UK drivers side the lower plastic cover in the wheel arch is missing.  where the drive shaft comes through.  I could feel the bolt head rotating here, but could not gain purchase upon it.

Am I to assume I will need to remove both sides of the lower plastic  inner "mud guard" to gain some access to this front bolt?

And similarly by removing the rear gearbox plastic tray I should be able to get in & get at the two on each side at the rear of the plate?

It was late, getting dark & naturally cold  so I maybe was not fully with it.  The Gin does not help either  ;-)

Cheers,

JMHC
[/quote]

You don't need to remove the plastic guard where the drive shaft goes through , it's a bit of a poor design the nuts not being captive.

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Also as it says on the plate..
You shouldn't drive the car with the plate off or loose as it strengthens the front sub frame...
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)