Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transmission Failsafe Program

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
lentil

Transmission Failsafe Program

Post by lentil » Wed May 06, 2015 9:43 am

Morning chaps,

Driving a fairly hilly route the other day I noticed the auto gearbox on my X5 delayed in downshifting on the inclines a few times. Eventually on an incline I tried flooring the pedal to try and get it to shift down quicker, and I was immediately shown the messge in the title ...

The remainder of the journey was spent in 3rd gear I think.

Upon arriving home I gave the car a rest, then when I started the engine up again all was well! Been out a few times since, albeit on flat routes, and its been fine.

I googled the error message to find there are several possible causes, such as voltage from the alternator etc. Question is, now it is working fine, would a diagnostic test show anything up? Should I just leave it as is, with the concern of it happening again? or get it checked out?

Finally, are there an recommended garages in the Middlesbrough, North East area who frankly won't rip me off lol ??

Thank you very much for any help.

Just scared of someone telling me the dreaded "new gearbox needed".

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Transmission Failsafe Program

Post by X5-D-Sport » Wed May 06, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi Lentil,

Downshifting on a downward incline is NOT unexpected, the vehicles way of better traction thru the transmission, rather than a braking lockup.
The gear change will go up a gear when you reach the revs threshold for a gear change even on a descent incline, but it is un-nerving I agree.

Personally, I shift over to Manual gearbox mode & pull the lever a couple of times to keep her in 6th gear - or as high a gear as she will stay, to make the revs stay lower.

the transmission fail warning may be several reasons..

Intermitted electrical voltage issue - ie tarnished fuse in box in glove box,

fuse failure - which will also give a transmission failure notice.

a very steep incline may cause the transmission fluid to move & the box may notice a low level ...

Low battery voltage... I had this one.
The battery voltage is a critical factor, and the computer will delegate power to essential functions in a low voltage situation.... ie will dump fog lights, sub systems and luxuries to keep essential systems running.
In so doing, items that were starved of power such as a gearbox etc will throw up a warning.

Low voltages will also thro up warnings...
so maybe hook a multi-meter to the jump start connections under the bonnet & see what it reads.
Initially, leave the vehicle for a few hours without starting, then see what she reads, ideally about 11.8/12.5 volts +
When started, this should hop up to about 13+ volts at tick-over and up to about 13.8/14 volts over 2,000rpm

For ease, drop into Halfords or a motor store for a battery test.
You can do this from under the bonnet at the Jump-Start point, as it's a Massive power cable & earth to one of the strut-top bolts.... and see what the machine reads off.

I put a 1,000 Crank Amp battery in my old-girl, and the starting is VERY quick now, and all my warnings vanished too.

Regards
Grant B
Last edited by X5-D-Sport on Wed May 06, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Wed May 06, 2015 12:21 pm

Sounds like a heat issue to me..
Have you a secondary oil cooler on it????

Get codes read and check pressures first..
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Wed May 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Ahhh yes - and heat... I forgot about heat...

I've not been unfortunate enough to cook a transmission yet.... :blink:

Storm

Post by Storm » Fri May 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Which fuse do I have to look for and where