Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Outstanding MPG

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
PioneerSSM

Outstanding MPG

Post by PioneerSSM » Mon May 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi All
Prior to purchase I'd researched operating costs etc and was expecting to achieve around high 20s MPG, on a good day, and if I behaved myself!

Well thats the first month of ownership over, and I can report that I'm pleasantly surprised.

Short hops and early morning 6 mile commutes on a cold engine and I'm still achieving around 35MPG.

A good run on the M6 with a car of people, luggage and fuel this weekend, and not at all sparing the horses whatsoever! and I'm still getting great mileage well into the high 30s.

I wonder if I had maintained a steady speed with the cruise set, just what could have been achieved?

Just quick update on this topic.
I've spent the past week on short hops of no more than 6 miles, all on predominantly cold engine, and yes the mileage has dropped considerably down to a low of 27 MPG at its worst but averaging 29+.
This seems a more realistic figure I think. I'm still more than happy with this, i think for a 2 ton plus performance machine it terrific. I continue to be enthralled every time I step into it. :)
Last edited by PioneerSSM on Sat May 30, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW X5 The ultimate driving machine.

Except when you need a parking space!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Outstanding MPG

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 18, 2015 9:32 pm

My fuel consumption is slightly worse on cruise as the computer tends to hedge its bets just a little.  May be 1-2mpg depending upon load.

Your figures are very good.  What is your tank to tank figure - the computers can tell all kinds of lies ;)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Mon May 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Which engine?

I get early 30s  with my 40d.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sustanon250

Post by Sustanon250 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:19 am

I would regularly see 38's in my mapped 40d, these days I'm averaging around 12mpg in my X6  >:D
2014 BMW X6M (the toy)
2004 Porsche 911 (996) turbo (the garage queen)
2015 VW Touran (the daily)

PioneerSSM

Post by PioneerSSM » Thu May 21, 2015 6:02 am

3.0d SE no mods or mapped.

My tank to tank is 37 MPG, that said unless I'm intending to travel over 400 mile in one run, I only ever put £50 at a time. My theory being your not carrying around 10 gallon of unnecessary dead weight. Computer seems to be nearly bang on with this calculation.

Early 30s with a 4.0d is tremendous, is it mapped?

Whilst the cruise is a useful tool, I also tend to use it sparingly. I find the initial lets get you up to the last memorised speed is ridiculously heavy footed, and unnecessarily wastes fuel. I want to choose when and where Ill waste my fuel, and enjoy the surge of raw power. Not be dictated to by the ECM!
BMW X5 The ultimate driving machine.

Except when you need a parking space!

Nine468

Post by Nine468 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 am

WOW.
Ive got to say , you must be incredibly light footed...
My 3.0sd gets an average of 26-28mpg...And i dont drive like a nutter either..
Dave W.
BMW E70 X5 40D

Dr C

Post by Dr C » Thu May 21, 2015 11:03 am

[quote="Nine468"]
WOW.
Ive got to say , you must be incredibly light footed...
My 3.0sd gets an average of 26-28mpg...And i dont drive like a nutter either..
[/quote]

Agreed...driving between Perth and Inverness (about 100 miles) with average speed cameras the whole way (mostly 60 mph with the occasional 70 mph dual carriageway stretch), I got 28 mpg.
Current:
F15 X5 M50d
Mark 7 VW Golf GTD

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu May 21, 2015 11:34 am

Dr C that is shocking. I can never be disciplined enough to drive in the 60-70 band, but when forced to by road conditions (usually too many people or av speed cameras) I'm always amazed how good the mpg gets.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu May 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Interesting couple of comments a few days apart about mpg, efficiency and engine life.  One from a Philips petroleum man just retired, the other from an ex BMW service engineer.  Both say stay clear of supermarket fuel - it is inconsistent in terms of refining and the variety of additives in it.  Use a premium brand is their advice - Shell, BP, Esso etc as their products are much more consistent.  BMW man says supermarket fuels cause carbon build up, are more liable to clog particulate filters (if fitted) and swirl flaps.  I've used mostly Tesco juice in my 3.0d without any problem - about 16000 a year mostly longish runs at average speed of 41mph.  My wife does 2500 a year in her 5 yr old petrol A class Merc.  BMW man says change to premium fuel now - high mileage means hot engines that burn most of the supermarket carbon off, low mileage means a lot of cool running and carbon build up is a real problem.  In earlier posts I've said I get 30mpg over a long period on Conti runflats and 32.4 over the last 6000 miles on Vredestein Wintrac non-runflats.  I bit the bullet and filled up with BP tonight - 71 litres - £1.42 more that it would have been over the road at Tesco.  BMW man's advice was I should get much better mpg and performance after 3 tankfuls.  Watch this space...

Woodenman

Post by Woodenman » Sat May 23, 2015 11:57 am

Ive had my X5 40d for a week now (20 inch wheels) for my work commute 9 mile each way has averaged over the week 29mpg this is speeds between 50 - 70 :) depending on traffic and overtaking. Not bad for a heavy truck at 50 - 55mph it was claiming 38mpg  :))
E70 40d Msport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 23, 2015 3:47 pm

:ok:

At last, someone else who doesn't believe the hype and hearsay and mythology around supermarket fuel....which is mainly perpetuated with no hard repeatable evidence by premium brand fans and their followers.

Fuel is fuel, comes from the same main depots which get their fuel from the same refineries (have you ever seen a Tescos or Asda one?) and all made to the same spec.  Even the oil bases used are blends from around the world's reserves.

The only differences may be a driver added bottle of additives, or in the way the tanks are maintained by individual forecourts.

The so called 'super fuels' are just made from LNG condensates rather than oil condensates.  It's all still basically the same stuff though.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Spuffington

Post by Spuffington » Fri May 29, 2015 8:18 am

Good lord, that is good mpg.

My pre-LCI 30d averaged 26.4mpg over its time with me. Just sub-20k miles

My LCI 40d averaged 26.8mpg over 14k with me.

Both very similar and arguably typical (combined cycle) driving conditions with a small skew to slightly more urban. But to see much over 30mpg, I had to drive like a granny and have virtually nothing in the car with me!

Only difference was a trip to NW Scotland where I was able to average 30mog for a few hundred miles, but I gues that is down to the roads being less congested.

stevee

Post by stevee » Fri May 29, 2015 6:27 pm

LCI 30d , over 37K miles averaging 32.4mpg via OBC.

Did a 200 mile run last weekend with 5 passengers, some of it 7 passengers, averaged 36mpg. I use the ACC a lot, which was set to 72mph.
X5 E70 (2011)

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Just been Notts to Cromer for a mini break. Fueled my X5 with V-Power as usual and some Forte additive. Done just over 300 miles in total. Going there its mainly 50 and 60mph roads with occasional 30 and 40mph roads. Reset computer when left and it read 36.2 on arrival. Was hoping for 30ish, so im absolutely amazed on what i achieved. Cruise control on most of time and did knock it into sports mode for a few overtakes. It was a lovely drive there and back and felt the roads i went on really suited my X5.! Well chuffed
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:07 pm

Having raised the question of premium fuel versus supermarket fuel, I've now had 4 tankfuls of BP (at 2p per litre more than from Mr Tesco over the road!)  However, on two 600 mile motorway runs on different tyres, the results are inconclusive to say the least!

Two weeks ago, on Vredestein wintracs, average 34.0.  Fell to 32.2 with about 500 miles town work added before the computer reset for this weekend when, on Conti runflat summer tyres, the same 600 mile journey returned 32.4.  It was noticeable when changing the wheels how much heavier the runflats are.  Moral - I think the type of tyres is more important than the fuel!  After comments above the supermarket fuel meets the same specs as premium brands, I'll almost certainly be back to Mr Tesco and the discounted fuel for shopping there in future.  By no means QED!!!