Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sonos or Bose

General off-topic chat.
Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Sonos or Bose

Post by Sanj » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Sooooo......

I've been converted to the Sonos way of thinking - hate wires and like the wi-fi connectivity over bluetooth. But, I'm about to buy the Playbar first - is this good enough for bass if the kids want music or should I be thinking about the sub box too? I understand a Bridge is required too???

Appreciate any thoughts.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:02 pm

Add a sub.  Can you get your sofas running on Bluetooth?  Might save you looking for new socket locations......
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:51 am

I have the Playbar which I use in the Kitchen - the sound is ok to be honest and handles bass quite well. I would say get the Playbar and see how you feel with it in the room (because size of space for sound will make a difference) and then if required, you can always add the Sub later.

I didn't need one for what I was using it for and it is loud enough in the Kitchen.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:28 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Add a sub.  Can you get your sofas running on Bluetooth?  Might save you looking for new socket locations......
[/quote]

You're an arse!

And Turks you are a true Gent!

Room is 9m x 9m and is the lounge/kitchen/dining room.

I'll be trying the Bar only to begin with and go from there...

Oh and for those interested - my floor issue after asking what to do with the power issue. I'm crying...

Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Next time buy manual sofas!  You should know automatic versions were going to bite you.....as they do on the E53. :))
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Nat

Post by Nat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:53 am

I disagree with all of you.

For 1 room ................there is absolutely no contest whatsoever......... Naim MU-SO.

Go listen then come back to me and tell me the others are also-rans.

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:59 am

Er I'll stick with the Sonos bloody £895.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:05 pm

I'm a fan of Sonos and have had a multi room set up for 10 years.

I like good quality sound and the Sonos is plenty good enough for my ears. Athough there is ALWAYS better quality out there you have to ask yourself "can i tell the difference?".

The biggest plus that Sonos have is the multi-room connectivity and streaming options. Having the ability to play the same music in different parts of your house with it all being in sync, while someone else is listening to completely different music in a third location is brilliant.

You have a lot of options with Sonos - which will make a difference to the sound quality in any event:

The soundbar: expensive but a simple solution for improved TV sound. A sub makes a huge difference, but the Sonos sub (although very pretty) is also v expensive. Personally the option I have gone for in terms of the TV room is to buy a good quality AV amplifier (Arcam AVR range are very good at BOTH music and AV reproduction), then attach a Sonos "Connect". This isn't an amp, it works with your AV amp and lets you connect up with all your other Sonos equipment. This way you can use your quality AV amp, your Sub (not the Sonos one) and your choice of speakers to do your TV surround sound and your music in the room. If you do what I did and splash out on a pair of good Front R and Front L speakers as part of your set up then the stereo music (which uses those speakers) is terrific. Always bear in mind that the quality of the sound you hear withh vary dependent on 1. the quality of the recording, 2. the quality of the amp and 3, the quality of the speakers. The best "2" and "3" will not help if your recording is poor!

Using Sonos "Connect Amp" plus speakers of your choice in other zones allows you to get the best sound out of the amps, and i do that in 4 other "zones", however I also have a Sonos "Play 5" in another zone and have to say the sound quality (to my ears) is superb for use in a medium sized room. Finally, I have a couple of "Play1"s in the kids bedrooms and they are suprisingly good also.

We have an extensive music collection (all stored on a hard drive) but these days just use the Sonos streaming capabilities - Napster or Spotify are both available. You can also play directly from your iphone or ipad wirelessly if you desire.

Finally, in answer to that question that all readers of this are probably thinking: No, I don't work for Sonos :)

Oh and re the "bridge" question, it used to be that one of your Sonos pieces of equipment had to be hard wired to your router to get access to the internet services, and then they brought out the "bridge", which had to be joined to your router but alleviated the need for one of your Sonos amps / one of your other Sonos devices to be connected by wire to the router. Even more recently they updated the software that Sonos runs on to allow you to connect up to your devices straight to your router wirelessly. However, that will not work for your Soundbar and anyway it isn't the best set up, as when joined together using the bridge option each Sonos component acts as a repeater meaning that the far flung reaches of your house just need to be in range of the nearest Sonos box to link together whereas setting up without the "bridge" means that each box needs to be in range of your router. The bridge is only £40 anyway :)
Last edited by kenniff on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:14 pm

[quote="kenniff"]

Finally, in answer to that question that all readers of this are probably thinking: No, I don't work for Sonos :)
[/quote]

Ashame, a forum discount would have been good  :))
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.