Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Low speed drive quality

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
3030macd

Low speed drive quality

Post by 3030macd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum site and looking for some feedback.

Took delivery of an E70 40d SE early September. Overall I am very impressed with the vehicle’s performance at speed apart from the drive and ride quality when the car is driven around the 20 to 35mph range. The new X5 benefits from the new 8 speed automatic gearbox and as a result there will be more “gear changes” however the ones which occur within the 20 to 35mph range are in my mind obtrusive and basically spoil the low speed ride. When driving at a constant speed of 30 to 32mph on a flat road surface, the gearbox regularly decides that a change is necessary resulting in quite a dramatic increase of about 400rpm upwards when the gear changes down or the opposite when change to a higher gear resulting in a “jump” or resistance/flat spot in the drive as the gear changes upwards. When driving at around 20 to 30mph the car seems to have “flat” areas and when coasting from around 20mph and without braking the gears change down which give some dramatic momentary resistance and almost brings the car to a standstill, again without the brakes being applied. These situations make for a very annoying and disturbed ride at low speeds.

Does anyone else with the new E70 40d find the same drive quality issues? Interested to hear from you.

bayrak

Re: Low speed drive quality

Post by bayrak » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:00 pm

May I suggest you take back to the dealer to be checked, I do not experience what you're describing, however I think due to the set up of the gearbox if you remove your foot from the accelerator the car pulls up pretty quick with no breaking, probably safety mechanisms kicking in. I can't say I notice gear changing mine seems smooth.
Good luck.

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:04 pm

I would say get it checked by dealer I am getting the complete opposite and really loving hoe smooth gearbox is in all ranges.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

3030macd

Post by 3030macd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks for your replies. Can I ask bayrak if you have the 30d or 40d engine.
Thanks.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 pm

My new X6 has the same 40d engine and gearbox changes are as smooth as silk. I live in a 20mph/30mph zone and have not noticed any unnecessary gear changes hot or cold.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.