Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

wood sap and black trim

Teapot

wood sap and black trim

Post by Teapot » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi everyone this is my first post. Have been a regular visitor to the site since I took delivery of my 3.0l M sport in April. I've done 7k so far and averaged 34.5 mpg. This is my first BMW after 6 mercs and I'm very impressed by the car so far.

I thought I would draw your attention to one problem that I have experienced relating to the high gloss black trim to the sides of the rear screen and around the side windows. It appears to be extremely vulnerable to attack from tree sap. I have had two incidents of this and both have left dull etched marks on the surface of the trim. I'm surprised that BMW didn't test for this before selecting the material. Has anyone else had this problem and have they reported it to their dealer?

bobgolden

Re: wood sap and black trim

Post by bobgolden » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:50 am

I haven't had a problem with mine and have just come back from leaving it at Southampton for a couple of weeks where birds and other nasties have had a field day all over it. I had to wash it twice and keep rinsing until the various sticky residues were completely removed but it's come up a treat. I had the shine and protect package and used the BMW shampoo for the final wash.

As far as mpg goes, I just got to 1200 miles and with a fully laden car managed an average 35mpg on the round trip so well pleased.
X5 xDrive 30D M Sport (F15)

Teapot

Post by Teapot » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks Bobgolden, my problem is very specific, sap and black gloss trim. No problems with removing sap on other areas. My car was G-techniq protected, which seems to be holding up very well in other respects. I applied it myself and saved ££££s.

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:46 am

Teapot,

The gulls didn't hold back !  It was all over the black wraparound the rear windows and a full strike on the passenger side.  I wasn't concerned about the glass as any solvent will get that off but I have to say the BMW shampoo sorted out the paint and trim..

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:33 pm

My famous last words !

I took the car in for the winter wheels to be swapped in April and the dealers valet messed up the black gloss trim on both sides surrounding the front and rear windows by not rinsing the detergent off. Anyway, 2 sets of replacement trims later (May and July) and it all looked as good as new. Not so happy last week when I realised water was now running into the door section and out of the bottom of the door pocket.

Back to the bloody dealer again next month  >:( >:(

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Had the sap removed the surface from the frames or was the sap itself stubborn to be removed?

I bought gue-gone to remove that stuff.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.