Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Approved Warranty

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
PioneerSSM

BMW Approved Warranty

Post by PioneerSSM » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:46 pm

HI All
Times coming up after Christmas for the warranty to be renewed. I’ve read on here that an over 60K miles will result in a cost of £1400. :o
I believe that £1400 is a lot of insurance to have, and I’ve yet to own anything that’s cost me anything like this sum to repair. Yes I know they are nightmare and will cost an arm when something big goes, but I ensure when buying that I pick something with a good history with decent ownership, good service record etc. The first year normally gives you some measure of just how reliable it is and what future you might expect.
I’ve also read that there are three levels of cover available, with regard to named parts and varying excess charges.
My X5 is a one owner full history with 60K on it. Its never towed or been off roadbed, and I’ve had no problems whatsoever during my year of ownership. My mileage is a minimal 7K per year with no towing or heavy use.
Any help or advice from you all on which is the optimum option to go for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve :)
BMW X5 The ultimate driving machine.

Except when you need a parking space!

chris.t

Re: BMW Approved Warranty

Post by chris.t » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 pm

[quote="PioneerSSM"]
HI All
Times coming up after Christmas for the warranty to be renewed. I’ve read on here that an over 60K miles will result in a cost of £1400. :o
I believe that £1400 is a lot of insurance to have, and I’ve yet to own anything that’s cost me anything like this sum to repair. Yes I know they are nightmare and will cost an arm when something big goes, but I ensure when buying that I pick something with a good history with decent ownership, good service record etc. The first year normally gives you some measure of just how reliable it is and what future you might expect.
I’ve also read that there are three levels of cover available, with regard to named parts and varying excess charges.
My X5 is a one owner full history with 60K on it. Its never towed or been off roadbed, and I’ve had no problems whatsoever during my year of ownership. My mileage is a minimal 7K per year with no towing or heavy use.
Any help or advice from you all on which is the optimum option to go for would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

i was in the same boat and took the gamble and havent renewed touch wood the car is running well
Present 2016 Audi S8
Previous 2014 BMW 640d msport
Previous 2012 BMW X5 30d msport

PioneerSSM

Post by PioneerSSM » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for that. I'm heading that way and your experience reinforces my intentions.
At the end of the day it's a well designed and engineered car, so why shouldn't it our perform its competitors.

chris.t

Post by chris.t » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:05 am

I just accept that if anything goes wrong then there is a possibility of BIG bills.
Present 2016 Audi S8
Previous 2014 BMW 640d msport
Previous 2012 BMW X5 30d msport

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:14 am

I took out AA breakdown cover with the breakdown repair cover which will pay upto £500 for repairs.  Think all in with breakdown etc it was £150ish.

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14 am

Never bought it because I never did the miles to warrant it.. I will have to see now with my new job if that changes but I think if you do say sub 10k a year it doesnt warrant it? Obviously mileage and age of the car also play a huge factor as well as driving style and common usage (type of road, length of journey, traffic levels, etc)

PioneerSSM

Post by PioneerSSM » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:39 pm

[quote="chris.t"]
I just accept that if anything goes wrong then there is a possibility of BIG bills.
[/quote
Yes I suppose that's always a possibility, but £1400 is a lot of insurance for what if!
To be fair I've always been careful with both selection and maintenance, and as such I've yet to find myself in a position where I've needed to replace any of the major components. If on the other hand you are unlucky and have to splash out, £1400 saved over 2 or 3 years  will buy you quite a bit.

I'm disappointed that BMW don't warranty their products over 100k miles. When clearly they are more than capable of these milages. [quote="bluestreak56"]
Never bought it because I never did the miles to warrant it.. I will have to see now with my new job if that changes but I think if you do say sub 10k a year it doesnt warrant it? Obviously mileage and age of the car also play a huge factor as well as driving style and common usage (type of road, length of journey, traffic levels, etc)
[/quote]my sentiments exactly.

PioneerSSM

Post by PioneerSSM » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:42 pm

[quote="squeaky2"]
I took out AA breakdown cover with the breakdown repair cover which will pay upto £500 for repairs.  Think all in with breakdown etc it was £150ish.
[/quote]
This sound a good deal. I'll look into this thanks

G_M_S

Post by G_M_S » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 pm

I went with Warranty Direct, got their highest level of cover, for 2 years for £700 vs. 1 year of BMW at over £1200.

Of course not had to use it since!!

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:18 pm

I went with the BMW Approved warranty. Had a claim this month for a rear air spring - no idea what that would have cost me to have done if I were paying.

Horses for courses I suppose, pays your money and takes your chances...

PioneerSSM

Post by PioneerSSM » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:05 pm

[quote="G_M_S"]
I went with Warranty Direct, got their highest level of cover, for 2 years for £700 vs. 1 year of BMW at over £1200.

Of course not had to use it since!!
[/quote]Yes typical. Still its a very good price compared to BMW

PioneerSSM

Post by PioneerSSM » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:11 pm

[quote="Cat Man"]
I went with the BMW Approved warranty. Had a claim this month for a rear air spring - no idea what that would have cost me to have done if I were paying.

[/quote]Yes I know what you mean.
I fully intend to keep the service record up with BMW, after all its cheaper than my brother in laws focus!
I am however interested in finding information on the BMW named parts warranty, to establish if its worth having.
I would be happy to use a local non approved garage which has all the diagnostic kit for most repairs, but if a major unit went down I would want BMW to refit on warranty.

Denis O

Post by Denis O » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:37 am

[quote="Cat Man"]

[/quote]

Air bags are pretty cheap at around £100 a pop and I understand it's not beyond the wit of a home mechanic to fit.

£1400 for a years warranty eh  :)

http://aerosus.co.uk/bmw/x5/e70/bmw-x5- ... embly.html
06 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC
05 Mercedes SL350

paddy wright

Post by paddy wright » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:39 pm

[quote="PioneerSSM"]
HI All

[/quote]
It's a gamble- I can understand the sentiments both ways- My E70 costs around £1300 a year in warranty after the 2 years AUC ran out- this may seem a lot but during my 2 years AUC I had several jobs done which would have been scarey without warranty- TV module replacement= £2000, Panoramic rooof = £4000 to to mention new sat nav and other bits.  These all make warranty seem worth while, however I am aware that this limits you to BMW main dealer service etc which is never the best.  That said my 04 Z4 still is under BMW warranty so I'm clearly a warranty gluten!
[quote="bluestreak56"]
[/quote]
Hey Bluestreak- nice to see you found your way over here.
Daily Driver - F15 30d ///M Sport
Weekend Toy- Z4 2.2i.
Gone- Fully loaded E70 3.0 DSE

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:47 am

[quote="Denis O"]
[quote="Cat Man"]

[/quote]

Air bags are pretty cheap at around £100 a pop and I understand it's not beyond the wit of a home mechanic to fit.

£1400 for a years warranty eh  :)

http://aerosus.co.uk/bmw/x5/e70/bmw-x5- ... embly.html
[/quote]

I hear what you're saying Dennis and I don't really disagree. In years gone by, I've swapped engines, gearboxes, clutches, you name it but.... I want to keep genuine parts on the car and I'm fed up of getting cold and banging my knuckles. I'd rather have someone else sort it for me. Plus, with my engine having those swirl flaps.....

I'm not a gambler, never have been. If something major goes wrong I don't have the money to just get it sorted. For me, the cost of the warranty is worth it. All I had to do was take it into BMW, give them the keys, tell them it was under a BMW warranty and that was it.