Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Non run-flat tyres

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
adricky

Non run-flat tyres

Post by adricky » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:24 pm

I need new tyres for my 40d and i want to try non run-flats. Can anyone recommend good tyres that won't scrub off too fast and at a good price? I've got 315/35 R20 - 275/40 R20 setup.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Non run-flat tyres

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:15 am

Most of the major players are good enough, Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental, Vredestein, Pirelli, Hankook, as well as the better end of the middle of the road types. 

Whatever you end up with, bear in mind that using non '*' marked tyres could lead you into the realms of a broken transmission.  BMW AWD systems have a habit of shattering either a diff or transfer box if you fit the wrong type.  The '*' mark means suitable and made specifically for use with BMW vehicles.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Riggie

Post by Riggie » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:28 am

If you want star marked, you have to go with runflat,  as the only manufacturer who does star marked non runflat  is Michelin, with the Diamaris and the load rating for the fronts is too low for the E70. I think these tyres were originally designed for the E53, which had the lower load rating on the front.

I went for 19s rather than 20s, as I could then stick with star marked, as I experienced droning with non star tyres which disappeared when I went back to starred tyres.

Abbot26

Post by Abbot26 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:33 pm

I'd stick with the run flats personally, but if you really don't want to I'd go for pirelli's or dunlops, always had good experience with both manufacturers

BullyB

Post by BullyB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:58 pm

I have just ordered some Michelin Latitude Sport 3 (non runflat). I think it will transform the ride, there have been some good reviews for them.
The runflats are nearly twice the price too.
Apparently however they are on back order with no confirmed date for delivery.
F15 for the dogs, 996 C4S for road trips, Defender for the mud & E36 M3 for the track

Riggie

Post by Riggie » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Camskill re showing them in stock, 165 for the fronts, 217 for the rears.

adricky

Post by adricky » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Anybody have experience with Hankook K117A Ventus S1 Evo 2?

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:50 am

I looked into this and have seen owners put the same manufacturers tyre on the car, but non rft.  So for me it would be Pirelli P zero.  As long as all 4 are the same and you keep the tyre pressure warning system intact.
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

BullyB

Post by BullyB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:00 am

I don't see how this "Star" approval thing works.
If a non star approved tyre can damage transfer boxes, what will happen if you have a slightly worn tyre, incorrect alignment, flay spot or uneven tyre pressures?
I personally think it is just marketing and not too important.
F15 for the dogs, 996 C4S for road trips, Defender for the mud & E36 M3 for the track

Wesley1874

Post by Wesley1874 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:12 pm

I just came on here to find out about runflat tyres and this post was at the top of the list!
I've just had a new set of tyres on the front of my X5.  I went for runflats again (Bridgestone Duelers) same as were already fitted.  There were some slight cracks in the inside rims of the wheels, which I'm told are due to the stresses that runflats can put on the wheels.
Is it possible to go back to ordinary tyres, or are there any insurance implications?  And if on ordinary non runflat tyres..what precautions has anybody taken on here in case of a puncture?
Can you have runflats on the front, ordinary tyres on the back or vice versa?
Thanks

BullyB

Post by BullyB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:49 pm

We contacted our insurance company and they were happy with the change. No problems.

I have done the same on my BMW 330i, Z4 and MINI - all much better drivers cars without runflats fitted.

You can get a space saver spare wheel from BMW. I also have a couple of cans of foam, a pump and an RAC card.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:57 pm

The tread depth thing is just as important.  '*' marked tyres are a specific recipe and 'matched' rolling diameter for staggered setups.  If you don't have staggered wheels then there is far less of an issue.

The most likely time for trouble is when you only change one pair and have a large tread depth difference, or you change all four for something with a more 'rural' tread pattern.

Not every X has suffered but too many have, and apart from the more off-road patterns, there is no definite will/won't cause trouble for particular brands.

There are too many reports for it to be marketing hype.
Last edited by X5Sport on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

celica

Post by celica » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:09 am

Shame that there aren't many players in this category and if you want the * marked then generally rft only and full set will be c.£1k

x5steve

Post by x5steve » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:15 am

I have only recently realised that some tyres have stars has anyone run non stared tyres from say dunlop and Bridgestone and had problems on a e70 with staggered 20 inch setup,

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:15 pm

£1000 seems steep.  I've just had 4 Goodyear Eagle asymmetric 2 runflats * rated (255/50/19/107w and 285/45/19/111w) delivered for £680 from a well known supplier in Cumbria and fitting+balance at £10 a wheel = £720 but I know 20" tyres are dearer.

Interestingly the fitting station comments they see more cracked 20 and 21" rims than 19s!

I've always used runflat summer tyres but my winters are non-runflat Vredesteins (at the time of purchase 3 years ago runflats just weren't available so I bought non runflats and a couple of cans of tyreweld).  They do give a softer ride than the Continentals I had fitted.  The ride quality of the Goodyears is unknown at the moment as the winters are still on the car - though the efficiency label rates them better than the Contis for consumption and wet braking.  Time will tell...

Graeme