Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2005 e53 gearbox trouble.

How-To articles ONLY go here.
Stephen p

2005 e53 gearbox trouble.

Post by Stephen p » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Good afternoon folks. I have been having a bit of trouble with my gearbox. I noticed it was a bit lumpy on take off I mentioned it to my service guy who said it was the gearbox and should look at replacing it. Well I near shat my boxers.
I felt gutted that it might need replaced. I drove it on. Good sometimes but problem still occurred now and again. About 5 months this has been happening.
Today I got into the jeep. Started it up. Let her heat up a wee bit. Then put it into drive. Well what happens next scared the crap out of me.
Ran really lumpy. Then the rear wheels were stopping. I was still in 1st gear. Going very slow it felt like I was driving on oval wheels. Then all of a sudden she kicked into 2nd then 3rd. Went on for about quarter of a mile dead on. Got back home. Then had to do a 60 mile round trip. Done it very carefully. Got home and as I was slowing to park. It happened again.
Can any of you please shine any light in this. Head is now melted completely.
I'm in Belfast n.ire.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2005 e53 gearbox trouble.

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:35 pm

Your expert was probably right.  The best thing to do now is not drive it and see if anyone local can come out and do a fault code read, or can recover the car and do the same.  That code read will tell you what is wrong.

Gearbox rebuilds are not rare with this box - as a quick scan of the forum will unfortunately tell you.

If the codes record a bad box, then you are looking at upwards of £1,500 to rebuild, less if it's just the torque converter.  BMW dealers don't rebuild, just replace - and you really don't want to know the cost!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Stephen p

Re: 2005 e53 gearbox trouble.

Post by Stephen p » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Thanks. Been reading through and I see it seems to be common. Now my head is just pickled.