Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bumper Drop E53 Le Mans

How-To articles ONLY go here.
mikey82

Bumper Drop E53 Le Mans

Post by mikey82 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:17 am

Good morning all,

Just posted in the Newbie section as recently bought a great X5 Le Mans Edition.

Problem I am having is that most guides and 'how to' sections on bumper removal don't cover the huge bumper the Le Mans has.

The issue I have is that one side has dropped and I am assuming its a clip or something however would love you experienced thoughts - pic as below and any help would be much appreciated

May take the bumper off to asses but again not too sure the location of the bolts on this actual bumper.  Hopefully someone has had experience of this or is a Le Mans owner!

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Bumper Drop E53 Le Mans

Post by Sanj » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:16 am

Morning,

This is indeed the bumper clip that's snapped. New one is around £20 from the $tealers and usually a pig to remove without breaking. So when you get the new one, hopefully you get it right first time.

Bumper has a tray underneath with 5 screws to take out, two in the covers either side of the number plate, two under the bonnet in the corners of the headlights, two each side of the front wheelarch plastic covers, lastly in the corners of the grills (lower ones I think). Be very careful you don't snap the other side one.

Weekend play with a mate to hold the bumper....
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

mikey82

Post by mikey82 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks for the advice Sanj!

I presume the below is what I need?

Would there be any way of checking that it has not just 'popped off' before hand?  if not at least its not an expensive part - fingers crossed!

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:33 am

Could be my PC but is that picture cut off a bit? Does the bit that's cut off sweep upwards to match the bumper line? If so that's the piece - where's it from?

The only way to check is pull on the bumper and see in the gap - usually one or more of those clips has broken. Just be super sure on this aftermarket part too, I'm sure the cut out in the bumper is a rectangle, these look like they're for a round cutout (just ask them, etc). Or check when looking at yours.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

mikey82

Post by mikey82 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:54 pm

[quote="Sanj"]
Could be my PC but is that picture cut off a bit? Does the bit that's cut off sweep upwards to match the bumper line? If so that's the piece - where's it from?

The only way to check is pull on the bumper and see in the gap - usually one or more of those clips has broken. Just be super sure on this aftermarket part too, I'm sure the cut out in the bumper is a rectangle, these look like they're for a round cutout (just ask them, etc). Or check when looking at yours.
[/quote]

Hi Sanj

I found the orig BMW part number for this. It is a straight part but is pliable enough to contour the bumper. I checked on mine this evening and all 3 clips have gone! So nothing to clip on to.

My local BMW dealer can order me in the part and it is only £12 and looking at it poss with headlight out could fit without the need to take off the bumper  8)

Thanks for your help

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Yeah take only one side off and the other can be replaced. Bloody dealers, who do you use? I'm gonna get mine sorted too!

mikey82

Post by mikey82 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:07 pm

[quote="Sanj"]
Yeah take only one side off and the other can be replaced. Bloody dealers, who do you use? I'm gonna get mine sorted too!
[/quote]

Generally steer clear of dealers however my local is Williams. May run the part number through a few google searches and see if I can find it elsewhere.

Once that's done just a bit of TLC on headlights and should be good to go.

Just in case you want the part number its: 51118402313

mikey82

Post by mikey82 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:05 am

@Sanj

Upon closer inspection of the underneath of my bumper and subsequent searches that part above was superseded by the part below - and looks like what I need?!

However BMW dont seem to know which one is needed :/  I have to take it in! crazy