Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tow bar fitting?!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Alski

Re: Tow bar fitting?!

Post by Alski » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:49 am

I fitted a towbar on my E46 a couple of years ago and had to cut the bumper - marked it out on masking tape and then carefully cut with a dremel fitted with a cutting wheel. It was the bit of the fitting I was dreading, but actually turned out to be fairly easy - as always take your time and measure twice, cut once. :)

Waka

Post by Waka » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. Interesting stuff.  :)

The tow-bar has never been used so maybe the bumper was never cut before the car was delivered. There's no obvious signs of a new bumper/repair work. I think I'm the third owner, so I might ask the (independent) trader whether he's able/willing to sort it.

Graeme was that cutout done by BMW? Looks quite 'hand cut' to me?  O:-)
Curr. - Silverstone II F85
Prev. - E70 4.0D M Sport
E53 3.0D Sport Facelift - Estoril Blue

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:16 pm

The bumper cut was done by an independant towbar fitter. It's under the bumper so can't be seen from the back of the car - just as well I hear you say :)
x6 M50d

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:16 pm

[quote="Waka"]
The tow-bar has never been used so maybe the bumper was never cut before the car was delivered. There's no obvious signs of a new bumper/repair work.
[/quote]

It's a factory fit so the pre-cut bumper would have been fitted at build.  Something has been changed.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.