Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2 Questions: Music Folders on USB Stick and Tuning New DAB Stations

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
sharpharp

2 Questions: Music Folders on USB Stick and Tuning New DAB Stations

Post by sharpharp » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:15 am

Hi all,

Anyone know how to read Music Folders on the F25 X3 via USB STick?
I've got a few folders with different styles of songs on a memory stick, but the I-drive system will only read the MP3 songs in the Root of the memory stick.

I don't want to import the songs into the internal storage, I just want to play them direct from the USB stick.
Even cheap portable MP3 players have the ability to transition folders.

Secondly, how do you do a scan for NEW Dab Stations? There has been a few new national radio stations launched in the past few days, which I can receive fine at home on a Portable DAB player by doing a SCAN.
How do you do a scan for NEW DAB stations on the X3 F25? I checked in the menus, the station doesn't appear in the list and I can't see any SCAN for NEW options...

Thanks

Pinewood

Re: 2 Questions: Music Folders on USB Stick and Tuning New DAB Stations

Post by Pinewood » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:54 pm

If you have formatted the drive correctly with default partition, then it should look something like this ...
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

RodHB

Post by RodHB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:03 pm

I copied my iTunes library onto a USB flash drive which is easy to do using a computer. Works/worked really well on all my iDrive cars.

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:24 pm

[quote="RodHB"]
I copied my iTunes library onto a USB flash drive which is easy to do using a computer. Works/worked really well on all my iDrive cars.
[/quote]

So did you have folders in the root of the USB drive and it lets you play tunes in them? If so, how do you traverse the folders?

I copied the folders from a computer as well, but my I-drive only sees the MP3s in the root of the USB drive

RodHB

Post by RodHB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:02 pm

No folders as such just copied everything into the USB (root I assume?)

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Try formatting usb stick and select "default partition" for the file size.  Are you using a windows 7/8/10 computer.  If that doesn't work, try a different make of usb stick.  I use a kingston traveller 101 (16gb)
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Can't you convert the songs to MP3 format via iTunes or windows media? Or have I miss understood the question.
I havnt got DAB radio in the car, but have it in my van, there is a search button that searches all available channels that are in range. Make sure you are in a good reception area before you do the search
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks for the replies, but so many replies going completely off track (pardon the pun).

Forget iTunes, I did not mention iTunes at all.

For simplicity sake, on my computer I have two folders containing MP3s. If I copy both these folders to a memory stick and then use them in the car, I-drive does not allow me to go into the folders. If the MP3s are in the Root of the USB stick, then it will read them.

I want to keep the folders, because it allows me to pick and choose my mood of music by choosing which folder I go into.

But this feature which is available on the cheapest of mp3 players isn't on a bmw???

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:06 pm

It is very much available and working on my X3.  I can't help thinking you need to try another usb stick.
Also don't copy the 2 folders over.  Instead create 2 folders on your usb and drop a few music mp3's into each one as a test.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Also try starting the car and then inserting the usb drive. There have been reports of some cars not picking up the drive correctly.  Just a thought.

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:38 pm

RE the DAB issue, like you I was trying to find a way to tune. I found that absolute 80s the station that has moved for me as two entries now.. (one named old and one named new). Presumably they auto-tune as stated in the radio ads?

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Update:

Tried around 10 different types of memory sticks, same issue. It only plays tunes in the Root of the USB stick, any mp3s in a folder in the USB stick do not get picked up.

Tried formatting USBs in FAT/NTFS etc etc, still no joy.

Puzzling

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:31 am

That is very strange.  I think a chat with BMW, next service time is in order.
Re DAB STATIONS,  i found saving your favourite ones, and then programming one of the 8 pre sets to show "saved stations"  works best.  I press number x and all my favourite stations are listed.
Last edited by Pinewood on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

brandon888

Post by brandon888 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:57 pm

where did you plug your usb ,there is one inside the glove box and one inside the armrest ...
you should use the one underneath the armrest . and go into thesetting as defaut and then it should read your usb

litany

Post by litany » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:23 pm

USB format FAT32 only, doesn't matter how many folders and subfolders are inside. Direct play via USB in armrest.

DAB stations shows automatically once they available on region.