Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which Xenon HID Kit for E53 facelift?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Hagar66

Re: Which Xenon HID Kit for E53 facelift?

Post by Hagar66 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:52 pm

[quote="TheHerd"]
[quote="Hagar66"]
After reading this thread, i bought some from amazon (JAMBO) as well and am very happy with them especially at the price and they arrived within a couple of days as well, easy to fit and look great
[/quote]

Excellent, glad I could help.
[/quote]

Yep thaks m8, found it a very useful topic  8)
MY WORK WHEELS

Richard137

Post by Richard137 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:45 pm

[quote="TheHerd"]
Hi chaps,

Sincere apologies for taking so long in getting this update loaded.

I have since replaced my low beams (H7), high beams (H1) and the fogs (H11) with HID Xenon Kits from HIDS Direct. Ordered a set of 55w Canbus Pro Smart Slim HID Xenon Conversion Kit for each (3 sets in total).

Big shout out to GrantB (X5-D-Sport Salisbury) for all his assistance. Not only for his electrical expertise but mainly for enduring a rather windy and wet installation, 80% of the time under two strategically positioned umbrellas. Great fun was had! Still laughing at very many jokes shared....

Ok, installation tips. Both the low and high beams have their own custom wiring looms/relays with a 4700uF 35V capacitor and 50w load resistor per bulb. This ensures a burst of clean constant power and eliminates any bulb failure error messages from the on-board computer. I've also disabled the cold bulb check via the OBD (BMWScanner1.4) because the startup checks really serve no purpose now with the resistors installed and I really don't like the flickering of the bulbs at startup (can't be too good for them either I guess).

They've all been working perfectly well since the Easter Weekend, very happy. Night time driving is that much more rewarding now as I believe my visibility has doubled if not more. Fogs provide a beautiful broad white light on the ground below and to the sides of the car and the high beams light up any dark B road like a football pitch. There is a momentary delay on warm up so if you primarily use your high beams to flash other motorists then I wouldn't recommend the HID upgrade for you. I frequently travel long distances in the dark so worth while for me. (this is the only reason I'll look forward to the return of winter).

Here are a couple of photos I have taken but you really need to see them behind the wheel at night to really  appreciate the upgrade.

[/quote]

Can anyone please do me any links & Step by Step to switch my high n low beam set up to these lovely clean lights.
2006 BMW E53 Titanium Silver (Facelift)
Remapped
LED Angel Eyes
LED Reverse Lights
B-Pillars Wrapped in Carbon Black
Rear Wiper E70 Conversion
Winter Wheels (18" 255/55).

------ To Do ------
CREE Driving light set.
Steering wheel to be Carbon Wrapped.
Running Boards to be polished.

TheHerd

Post by TheHerd » Thu May 05, 2016 9:55 pm

[quote="Richard137"]
Can anyone please do me any links & Step by Step to switch my high n low beam set up to these lovely clean lights.
[/quote]

Richard, if you don't want to (or need to) go the relay route then it is very much a plug & play exercise, many guys have been lucky. I only installed relays because I was having voltage issues, dip in power on startup and bulb failure. Simply installing some capacitors could work too as a first step.

I'd recommend taking it in stages. Buy your HID kits and install them. I got mine from HIDS Direct UK - http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/. Do you have a facelift or pre-facelift model?

If you experience any issues, I'll help you through them and should you need to go the relay route we can call on GrantB to help us out....  ;)
(SOLD) 2006 BMW E53 X5 3.0d MSport 20" OEM Rims
20mm Spacers | LED Interior Lights incl NPlate | HID kits | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LED Angel Eyes | 2016 Maps | Digital TV | Upgraded AMP | Engine Remap | LED Tails | LED Side Repeaters | Subwoofer |