Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie - towbar fitting

How-To articles go here.
snrbrtsn

Newbie - towbar fitting

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Hello, whilst I joined a while back as a bmwland refugee, I have just got an x5
Whilst happy with the spec, I don't want to be throwing bikes in the back so looking at DIY'ing a towbar
Looking at the westfailia c/w dedicated wiring, though unsure of the undertaking, more so the bumper removal

Does anyone have a useful guide for 2012, m sport bumper removal / towbar fitting, I did look around but can't find the nooks and crannies of the site.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Newbie - towbar fitting

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Have a look on the P F Jones website as they typically have the instructions for bar & elecs as downloads...
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:17 pm

Many thanks

Looked there and they have the westfailia bars c/w dedicated wiring, cheaper than most, so hopefully all good.
Is the bumpers easily removed ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Is it not in the Westfalia instructions?

There are some folks on here who have done it so hopefully they will chip in with direct advice  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Race.it

Post by Race.it » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:40 am

There is a good video on YouTube from memory about rear bumper removal as it's different in the 2012 model compared to the earlier one (which come apart in two)

In essence

Open boot, remove side panels, remove both light units, remove the 3 plastic rivits on the arches pull arches away from the body but they stay on the actual car. Undo about 6-8 bolts underneath then from the light apature start to push the bumper out of the clips working one side at a time towards the front of the car, once both sides uncliped then slide bumper cover back, unbolt the rear bumper carrier bar, and put in place the towbar version and work in reverse to fit.