Safety partnership camera vans

General off-topic chat.
JF1980

Safety partnership camera vans

Post by JF1980 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:33 am

Just wanted to check if anyone knows whether these are actually calibrated to catch people while in motion.  I don't think so and overtook one this morning (the big transit vans with the cameras at the back) - partly because I was in a hurry to catch a train but mainly as a protest because I was extremely annoyed by the fact that he was speeding himself... can't stomach that sort of double standard.

Pretty sure it's only ANPR, traffic partol cars and perhaps some bikes what are calibrated for forward facing in-motion detection and they have to be behind you for something like 200m - but still, did think afterwards perhaps I should have just sucked it up  ::)
Current: 2012 E70 x40D Sport
Previous: 2004 E53 3.0D Sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Safety partnership camera vans

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:52 pm

If it was moving then it will depend upon the camera system installed.  The ANPR camera does not work on speed as it reads number plates, but traffic vehicles with the combined ANPR/Speed recording kit use a time/distance system to check speed over a measured distance.  Normally they would stop you at the time..

You may just have to wait out the 14-days.  Some Partnerships might send out a warning letter stating you were seen exceeding the speed limit of XX mph and please don't do it again with no further action being taken.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

JF1980

Re: Safety partnership camera vans

Post by JF1980 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:05 pm

It wasn't actively in use in terms of its primary purpose.  The guy had clearly just picked the van up from police HQ up the road and was driving it to wherever he planned park up and catch people out (usually around a corner at the bottom of a hill).  It was one of those transit vans that park up and have the cameras pointing out the back window.

Even if calibrated I'd hope the fact he was speeding himself would mean it wouldn't be pursued. Will just have to wait and see.
Current: 2012 E70 x40D Sport
Previous: 2004 E53 3.0D Sport