Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FSR/Hedgehog unit replacement

How-To articles ONLY go here.
X5 4.6IS 2003

FSR/Hedgehog unit replacement

Post by X5 4.6IS 2003 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 am

How to replace FSR/hedgehog unit
The FSR unit is located near to the fire wall behind the heating controls and needs to be removed from the drivers side to the left of the pedals, it is a very simple job and will only take about 25 mins to an hour depending on your skill level
You should not need much force to remove anything.
Pull fuse prior in case it is hot.

Tools needed - Phillips screwdriver, small torch and a mat to put on the floor

1. Undo & remove the drivers side carpet trim panel that runs from the seat along to the firewall, it is only one screw to the left of the pedals and  the rest is plactic plugs, once the screw is removed pull out from the pedals side and gently ease plugs out, once it is loose move the panel toward brake pedal so it will slip out from behind other panel located down the side of drivers seat.

2. Remove small plastic trim that goes around bonnet release handle(slips towards you)

3.Remove the plastic trim above the pedals that has light etc fitted, It has screws that run along the front and one at the rear, the screw near the bonnet catch could be lost if dropped so block around the bonnet catch to ensure it does not fall into that area(you will neeed to unplug light etc).

4.Remove ducting above left of the pedals and try to remember how the vent ducting goes back( i laid it all out on the back seat). Try not to force anything

5. It is very hard to actually see the FSR unit as it is located to the left of the pedals right against the engine bay firewall, i found it a bit easier to see if i got on my knees outside the car and put my head near to the bonnect release catch, you will need to remove it by touch only. If you reach around and follow the wire loom to the FSR plug, it has a clip on each side that you need to squeeze and wiggle the plug out, once removed tuck plug up out the way, the FSR unit itself has  a large plastic clip that runs alond the bottom once this is removed gently wiggle the FSR unit out, note the way it came out and fit new one in exactly the same way, take care not to bend alluminium stems.
The FSR has two holes that locate into plastic dowls, ensure the bottom clip is located correctly onto new FSR and put everthing back in reverse order. 
2003 E53 X5 4.6is (Pre Facelift), Silver/Black

Martinipaul

Re: FSR/Hedgehog unit replacement

Post by Martinipaul » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Just replaced mine, as you say a quick job, but made easier by your clear and simple summary.
Thanks !
Paul.