Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

what do I need to buy to get upgrade (photo)

How-To articles ONLY go here.
jonnyivy

what do I need to buy to get upgrade (photo)

Post by jonnyivy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi,...    was leaning towards getting an upgrade for my satnav as more that a few times I have been seen driving over fields where there are now roads built !
Just wondering what I need to buy to get the latest DVD disc to show the roads as they apeear through my windscreen......  do the new discs give you the benefit of going down to road level camera or are they still just an overhear single view ?

Anybody done this upgrade ?Image
Virgin owner of X5 3.0 D 2003 ( getting to know her better now )(thinking of a long-term relationship now )( sadly  now divorced !! )( 4 years later...met the newer model and happy again )

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: what do I need to buy to get upgrade (photo)

Post by X5Sport » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:30 pm

You need to update to a newer disc - genuine only if discussed on the Forum.  Your firmware also may need updating to get 'Perspective' view.  I think that came with V26 from memory (V32 being the last issued for the Mk4 system).  Changing to perspective view is under 'Set'' if I remember correctly (not Navigation).

If you press Menu > Set.....  what numbers appear at top right of the screen?

If V32 then it will show 4-1/00, if not that is an earlier upgrade.  They all start 4- for the Mk4 drive.

The full list of official versions can be found here...

Updating the system is best done by a Dealer unless you can find the right files and create your own.  Plenty of us have done that bit with no issues but if something doesn't quite go right you can brick the Nav computer.  Illegal map discs can be unreliable as the MK4 (DVD) computer is sensitive to what discs are fed into it.
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.