Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Burst pipe somewhere - will it be covered by warranty

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Smatty

Re: Burst pipe somewhere - will it be covered by warranty

Post by Smatty » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:27 am

Quick update, took over a week and a little bit of a kick off from me on how much time it was taking, but all sorted and covered by warranty. They did charge me for some washer liquid :headbang: which annoyed, but car back good as new

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:42 am

Great news Smatty & glad all sorted, however you would have thought that they would stick the screen wash in FOC agree with :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Any news on your problem Stumpy?
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Mine is going in to get the new pipe installed on Monday. Going to be £600! Carpets drying out slowly, but low ambient temperatures isn't helping much. BMW not playing ball at all, so I've ordered a Q7!

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:28 am

Glad you are sorted Smatty!

Stumpy... thats really annoying and very short sighted of BMW!Greed is one of the most annoying things about BMW.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:26 pm

[quote=""StumpyPete""] BMW not playing ball at all, so I've ordered a Q7![/quote]

I too hate BMW and the way they treat their customers but a Q7!?!?
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:09 pm

[quote=""535dboy""][quote=""StumpyPete""] BMW not playing ball at all, so I've ordered a Q7![/quote]

I too hate BMW and the way they treat their customers but a Q7!?!?[/quote]

Have to say I thought the same, not sure if it's 2 fingers up at BMW or 2 fingers up a the rest of society :fuelfire:
Last edited by Chompers on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
Previous

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:30 pm

nah, really wanted a new e70, but the q7 works out about £8k cheaper for the same spec (actually slightly higher spec). I'm really not impressed with the build quality of the E70, Six warranty claims in 3 years! And now this. Need a 4x4 because of where I live and the fact that the missus needs to get to work when it snows (She's a Doctor). Limited choice of alternatives. Hate Mercs, Landies too soft for me and just as unreliable as the X5. Rangie out of my price bracket and RR sport has too much bling. Porker too Ugly.

I've had BMWs for 17 years and really didn't want to change but I don't feel I have much of an option. I'll see how I feel in 3 years!!

For those who wish to know the warranty claims are:
1. xDrive positioning motor
2. xDrive control box
3. Transfer box
4. Rear Light Clusters
5. Headlamp washer pump
6. Antenna wiring loom

(1-3 were related but treated as separate claims)

And I also still have a SOS system fault that nobody seems to be able to do anything about. I'm sure there are a couple of other niggles as well (handbrake error once and drained battery I think). Had Emergency Service out on three occasions, plus the fact I've had a couple of runflats go leading to the car being off the road for 4 days waiting for tyres.

I also assume that taking all the work into account above BMW GB actually lost money on my X5.

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:08 pm

New pipe installed today £500.

On way home passenger headlight washer disappeared.......what an unmitigated disaster. I am fed up to the back teeth with this car! Probably could convince BMW to fix that under warranty, but frankly couldn't give a toss any more. I'll just get the parts and do it myself - biggest pain will be painting the cover!

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Burst pipe somewhere - will it be covered by warranty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Stumpy, I think I just read on here that BM are replacing covers under warrantee as the have recognised as a design fault.

HTH
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:49 pm

[quote=""rusty nail""]Stumpy, I think I just read on here that BM are replacing covers under warrantee as the have recognised as a design fault.

HTH[/quote]

Sadly Stumpy's problem was a burst pipe/connection inside the car that coundn't be claimed under an extended warranty, he did also have a washer jet cover issue which he fixed himself.

@ Stumpy - Really sorry to here about all your woos mate and do understand why you would wish to move away from BMW always best to vote with your feet when things don't get sorted. Did you get knowhere with your warranty? who was it with BMW or an Independant?

I would also Iike to add that I would be very surprised if BMW GB did not look on this forum. If you are a BMW employee, possibly in CC then I really do hope you are taking note of these customer issues and something is being done internally to sort out these silly problems that in the end lose/will lose you custom.
Current
Previous

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:56 pm

Even BMW dealers are advertising cars with missing washer jet covers http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bmwauc/detai ... xKNTI4NjA= :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :thumbsdown:
Current
Previous

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Right guys finally got the washer jet fixed. Got parts from CotswoldBMW they do a great mail order service by the way.

Got the instructions from http://www.BMWTIS.com, you can buy a 1-day subscription for about £20 and download any instructions you want. Not easy to find so persevere.

First thing to was to remove the front bumper - pretty easy - 5 screws across the top under the bonnet, 8 Underneath, Two in each wheelarch. Pull out the trim in the wheelarches first then give it a big hard tug! I read about some plastic catches that hold it on, and was a little worried they would break, but they are quite substantial and will stand up to being tugged.

Once the bumper is off, getting out the old washer assembly isn't easy. There are two plastic tabs on top of the assembly which hold it in place inside the wing. Getting these to release was a pain. I eventually did it by wedging a stubby screwdriver under one in the open position and then forcing the other one open with another screwdriver. Once you have the tabs released the washer assembly just pulls out. To disconnect the pipe there is a white retaining clip that you need to take off and then the pipe just pulls off. At this point your arms get covered in washer fluid, so you need to be quick in attaching the new assembly. Once you have the pipe on reattach the clip, and clip the assembly back into place, making sure that you get the tabs clicked into place. There is also a plastic locating lug on the bottom of the assembly that helps you locate it properly. Test before putting bumper back on to make sure that you don't have a leak. I hadn't got the white plastic retaining clip in place properly and had water everwhere! Re-assemble bumper, and do final test.

Complete job took less than 1 hour to do start to finish. I suspect an additional 5 minutes if you had to do both washer assemblies.

In addition you need to paint and attach the covering trim piece. Thankfully My car is Space Gray which seems to be a really easy colour to match. Three coats of spray and a couple of lacquer and it looks like it is the original. Attaching it is a case of pulling out the washer arm with a pair of pliers and holding it out whilst attaching the trim. Be useful if you had a spare pair of hands here. I had to use a molegrips with some fabric between these and the paintwork to prevent any scratches.