Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Towing eye cover

AlpinaB3S

Towing eye cover

Post by AlpinaB3S » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi all

I am looking for some advice. The front towing eye cover on my X6 has always been loose. It falls off when I wash it and doesn't seem to be very secure. I accepted this was ok and must be normal until the other day when it fell off in the heavy rain and got lost.

I checked a friends X5 and his seems fairly solid so I assumed mine must have been a bit dodgy and I ordered a new one. £50 and a week later my new one arrived and it is just as loose as the original so I am assuming it is something missing or broken on the bumper. I am loathed to put it on in case this one falls off as well.

has anyone else had a similar issue? I now have to either go to BMW or find a way to make it fit myself.

Any advice gratefully received.

many thanks

c240amg

Re: Towing eye cover

Post by c240amg » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:30 am

Have not had that issue with my x6. Mine is a bugger to get off, but when I tried to put it back it, it did seem to be a little loose. But not as loose as yours, in where it came off. Maybe the plastic on the actual housing is a bit dented, so it doesn't quite fit on?

AlpinaB3S

Re: Towing eye cover

Post by AlpinaB3S » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks for the reply

I have actually put it on with some clear sealant from Halfords. It has stuck it on and seems secure and should also be easy enough to get off if I really need to. You also can't see the sealant at all so it's a good fix hopefully