Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lacquer failure

General X4 discussion goes here (sub-sections may follow later)
touring

Lacquer failure

Post by touring » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Just wanted to warn X4 owners, the lacquer was lifting from the centre of my car wheels, and BMW agreed to replace the wheels under warrantee, I had a call later in the day to tell me the wheels were on back order and would take ten months.

This is totally unacceptable for a £50,000+ motor to look like a cheap 2nd rate car for the majority of 2017.
Mark

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Lacquer failure

Post by graemeX5 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi

Sorry to hear the news, some of the X5's with the diamond cut wheels are prone to it after a few years.

When I was looking for mine had been painted instead on order to avoid the problems.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:30 pm

[quote="touring"]
Just wanted to warn X4 owners, the lacquer was lifting from the centre of my car wheels, and BMW agreed to replace the wheels under warrantee, I had a call later in the day to tell me the wheels were on back order and would take ten months.

This is totally unacceptable for a £50,000+ motor to look like a cheap 2nd rate car for the majority of 2017.
[/quote]
Unfortunately they have the same problem on the X5 too. Also look on Audi VW forums, they have exactly the same problems too
I had a set of Polished alloy rims too on my 5 series, these had the same white worm too.
Aluminium produces an oxide naturally, it's not rust. Changing the rims for new ones is only delaying the problem.
Paint or powder coat is the way to prevent this happening.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Very common now due to water based lacquers being mandated, and not just on those supplied to BMW.  The E70 has proved to be very bad ever since launch with many owners with diamond cut wheels having multiple sets replaced. 

I suspect just fitting the centre caps is enough to scratch the lacquer and that starts the failure going.  That or salt trapped between the wheel hub and centre cap.

10 months is ridiculous.  A local quality refurbisher could probably do a better job in a couple of days!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

grumpywurzel

Post by grumpywurzel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:05 am

Completely agree, 10 months to supply a new set is taking the p......... a week tops to Refurb em,
2005 X5 3.0d Sport

Mods: Engine Re-Map, LED Angel Eyes, HID Upgrade, Cobra Quad Tip Exhaust, Pioneer Head Unit, E70 rear wiper   :) and a new Gearbox :'(

touring

Post by touring » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Ironically I had a mobile alloy refurb business and would welcome a solid finish but BMW said no, preferring to replace at a silly price (to them) I just don't understand a 10 month wait, it will be a rolling example of a poor BMW product or at the very least poor customer service.

Not what you would expect from a 'prestige' manufacturer!
Mark

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:16 pm

It's not BMWs fault, rather their sub-contractor.  It sounds (to me) that there is an issue with these wheels and therefore a backlog.  I absolutely still think you should be priority though. 

A few words with BMW GB to demand how they can possibly justify that wait would be my next move - and warning them that the press would be my next stop.  Nothing like adverse publicity to wake them up!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

touring

Post by touring » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:28 pm

You are right X5Sport, however it is BMW's reponsability to take the rap and for them to chase thier sub contractor.

I would take it up with BMW uk, however the X4 was not my greatest purchase from the BMW range, and to be honest, I am glad it is going in favour of a new X5. There was not a lot wrong with the X4 but it was never a X5.
Mark

allforus

Post by allforus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:50 am

I have had two sets on my x5 and was supposed to have the same wait for the second set however with the x5 there where a lot of cars getting fitted with 21" wheels so the dealers had some lying around so to speak not sure if there was a m sport package for the X4 but might be worth asking the dealer to put an equiry out
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d